Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Open ended successful theme ideas

Hi I have always responded to children's ideas in my planning but have always had a pretty good idea of where I am going. I want to have a go at doing things differently and so next term have come up with the theme 'magnificent journey' and am prepared for that loose theme to take us wherever- to space, under the sea Etc. I have talked to the children about it and sent a letter home asking for stories/ photos and the first day back we will start planning with the children. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas for other themes which could go in a variety of directions according to interests.

Deb

Have you looked at the book by Nick Sharrat...You Choose!

If you could do anything, what would you choose? Imagine you could go anywhere, with anyone and do anything. Where would you live? Where would you sleep? Who would be your friends? What games would you play? Go on . . . You choose!

Authors: Pippa Goodhart, Nick Sharratt

Edited by Sue
Error in the displaying of the link

I love this book. My daughter got it as part of a bookstart pack when she was three. She now six and we still read it a couple of times a week. Great for language skills. I've used it at work lots of times and the children love it.

Thanks for the reminder one of my daughter's favourites also. Think I might do some colour photocopies and laminate for talk partners to share what their journey would be.

Deb

My class want to learn about 'Underground' Some specifically asked about underground trains, don't know how the others are interested yet but I think there might be lots of avenues to go down.

Oh there is a fab book - can't for the life of me think what the title is........wonder if anyone else knows - it starts of with 'what's under my bed'.........

We have a lad who is interested in TGV's and high speed trains, but also the Underground, we have a poster up on the wall of the underground map which he loves, we have made trains out of recyclable materials, today we all took in some small lego and he made some trains with that, we regularly go for underground rides, he particularly likes the Northern Line and we get out at King's X St. Pancras to catch a train to France so that we have have a baguette on the TGV. Plenty of images on google to help along The children have also laid out lots of paper round the setting and we have stuck it down, they have made train tracks and tunnels from boxes etc. Isn't there a children's t.v. story too Underground Ernie (???) so there may be some story books (hmm must look for myself now that's come to mind!)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)