Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Publicity for Playgroup

Guest terrydoo73

Guest terrydoo73

As you know we are a small Community based Playgroup in NI, not dependent on government funding but rather the community to raise necessary financial support, registered for 12 children at present. The Management Committee have ambitious plans to move to an old school in our village and we have been told that we could be registered for 24. Now I don't think the Committee have really thought the thing through because they asked me if there was a need for this number in our area so I have to prove to them there is!! Already for September 2013 I have 9 preschoolers registered and I am trying if possible to steer the Playgroup towards working with majority preschoolers and then fill the remaining number with 3 year olds. I have set myself the target of 9 more but of course we are up against it with free government places being offered not too far away. How best could I publicise the Playgroup effectively?

I have advertised in the local shop and school and am planning to attend a Toddler Group. I have also contact the press to do a report on the plans to move and asking parents to register asap basically. What else could I do?

I have made out posters which emphasise how local we are, how our adult to child ratio is high, staff qualifications as well as the activities we offer on a daily basis and of course putting in that we are only £12 a week per child.

Today I handed each parent a Wanted poster which basically asked them to hand a leaflet to at least one parent who they think could be using our Playgroup next September and we have a parents meeting tomorrow night where I will be emphasising it yet again.

My Deputy of course has put the downer on it and is not prepared to get involved in any way shape or form in this publicity drive as she does not see it as her job - if there are not the numbers she says well then I am out of a job fine I will accept that! She says but if there are not 9 more children in the community how can you create them out of thin air.

Please give me some encouragement and maybe some tips you have used in the past to promote our work. We have been in operation for nearly 2 years and I know when speaking to people they didn't even realise we were in existence. What more can I do??

best publicity we had was doing a fundraising for charity thing and getting it reported in local newspaper as an article with a picture... or anything that could be sort of newsworthy... invite paper in... (or ours now has online self submissions with pictures) ..make it big or funny or different...

do children have a 'uniform' that too can help if all are able to wear a shirt or jumper with a logo on when walking to and from...need not be costly to do.. and a walking advert.

Big poster in the window when you are open.. we also had parents put a poster/ notice in side car windows.

Guest terrydoo73

Thanks yes we have done fundraisers in past and put it in press though dont always get in. We have sponsored toddle to our new premises next week and r doing teatowel before Christmas.

All children wear their bright yellow fleeces out and about too.

Love idea of window posters for cars must investigate the idea!

Vista print have some magnetic car door stickers, I think the first one's free, but that may have changed. Do your LA record the births in your area so yu can have an idea of whats around the corner?

Thanks yes we have done fundraisers in past and put it in press though dont always get in. We have sponsored toddle to our new premises next week and r doing teatowel before Christmas.

I think Inge, although I'm sure she will correct me if I'm wrong Terrydoo, meant doing a charity fundraiser for people other than your playgroup.

• Like 1

Guest terrydoo73

We have done both! One for Children in Need last year and then our own fundraiser which both got loads of publicity in the local press.

When I first opened we put on an open day to give parents and their children the opportunity to come along and try all the different activities that we offer and to meet the staff team - a sort of try before you buy approach. You do need your staff team to be on board with this thought as they are your "selling team" - not quite sure about your deputy's attitude though - doesn't sound as though she is particularly supportive - surely her job is to support you and the setting in working towards your goals!

• Like 1

Guest terrydoo73

We have tried a couple of Open Days and they were not successful unfortunately - last one we only got 4 and 2 of them did not come to us after all!

I felt the same about my Deputy when I left work today and was thinking it over but I can see her point. I think she is of the opinion that I am doing work that really the Committee should be doing. My feeling is that I need to secure our positions as the Committee really I don't think care as long as the money comes in! Yes I could just say OK so there are not enough children but how do I know that for sure - we have to test the market some way and I definately think that I would prefer to try every angle before I finally give up.

How about Drs. surgery for a small poster about your group, or baby clinic. local school noticeboard, or if they are having a christmas fayre and producing a programme of events, we have advertised in those before now. A wooden sandwich board outside your premises every day, make sure you are listed in any local directories - we also have free family "what's on" type magazines here given out at libraries etc. which have a list of playgroups nurseries in the area in.

Guest terrydoo73

LIke the idea of a sandwich board - might try that! Yes I was thinking of approaching the local library to see if they would at least put up a poster on their notice board. We have used the local primary school quite extensively advertising in their weekly newsletter. I have heard of an event coming up at the school next week so might ask the parents if there might be a way of publicising ourselves at it. We don't have a "local" baby clinic or GP surgery - they are actually nearer to our competitors!

Just because it is not local to you do not dismiss it.. we advertised in Drs surgeries covering a wide area..ours encouraged visits so they could choose the best place for their children.. amazing the distance some will travel if they like what they see.. we gave other settings a good run for their money..

At school events we asked for a table or even paid a small fee for one, and set up a display of the setting, what we did, etc.. staff took it in turns to be there to answer questions..lots of balloons and wild colours to attract the little ones.. and I used to have a little simple game with a prize everytime.. cheap and cheerful.. to get people interested.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)