Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview questions for a early years practitioner

Guest Duttie

Guest Duttie

Hi everyone, going for an interview for an early years practitioner in a primary school on Friday, i am soooo excited. Really really want this job and need to shine. Can anyone give me any ideas what interview questions might be asked? Also got to do an interactive story. :0)

I did some interviewing for the first time recently. One of the questions was 'why do you want to / enjoy working with children?' Some of the answers given were, well i've always wanted to'. The ones that stood out talked about children's enthusiasm, seeing them develop and helping them to achieve.

A question about child protection is almost certain, so make sure you are fully clued up!!

What can you bring to the job?

Where do you see yourself in five years time?

What challenges might there be in working 1 to 1 with a special needs child?

If you met a parent in the supermarket and they complained to you that their child was being picked on by another, what would you do?

How would you support a child who appeared withdrawn and shy?

How would you support a group of boys who seem to want to run around all the time?

We were interviewing this week, we'd been talking about safeguarding and asked asked 'what would you do if the manager did something to a child, grabbing,smacking etc?'

One woman, we'd known for 20 minutes said 'well, I know you well enough now to know you wouldnt do that'. :o

• Like 1

Guest Duttie

Brilliant thanks every one, have been out of education and into managing a private day nursery for 9 years. Just finishing off my degree and really can't wait to get back in. I know the Gruffalo is a popular story, am I playing it too safe by using it as my interactive story? I've bought the book that makes noises, and going to get the children to act out the story with the finger puppets? Only got 30 minutes. Going to leave them with a selection of masks to colour and cut out. Should I do a lesson plan?

I was recently involved in appointing a new EYFS teacher and I would say, definitely yes to the lesson plan. Also get the children up and moving about during the lesson. One other point, don't be afraid to be yourself - quite a few of our candidates answered our questions very proficiently but we didn't feel we really knew them. Finally, show that you are genuinely interested in the children - take up any opportunities to spend time with them (other than during your lesson) eg, lunchtime. Good luck - I hope that helps :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)