Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Facesheet

Morning all,

I have a number of staff that have never been in a nursery when an inspection has taken place. Like others I'm over due, (sitting at 4 years now). So, I want to make a simple factsheet for my staff to have to hand one what ofsted will look for/ask/what they should do?

Any pointers in addition to the recent post made by the lady had her first inspection at the beginning of September?

Thanks in advance

Once complete I am happy to share it with you all!!!

As well as the ID, and signing in your visitors book, also ask Ofsted to follow your procedures with regard to mobile phones, cameras. Inform them of any fire drills likely or not likely to take place and what to do in the event of hearing your alarm, bell etc, including meeting point.

Where the toilets are for their use during this time.

Most importantly to keep you all sane is just do what you normally do, show them how great you are, it really isn't that bad an event.

Good luck everybody[ I can say that as we have just had ours]. :1b

• Like 1

There are 2 Ofsted reports up on their website for inspections undertaken with the new framework. I would suggest reading these so you can see how they are reporting now and what they are looking at.

Also read the inspection schedule with the judgements and you will know exactly what they look at and how they will grade what they see.

Cx

• Like 1

Blondie - Thanks for the advice, all staff are hot on ID checks and not letting anyone into the building unless they have been informed or the ID has been checked. We have a extra column on our visitors book to say who has let the person in and checked the ID badge.

Fredbear - Thank you for your pointers. We were due last Sepember and I was getting to nursery at 7.30 everyday, so that I was here to support the staff after two weeks of doing that I decided to take a step back and not be here, and like you say they are here to inspect our everyday practise. We know that were good from our previous inspection and I can honestly say that my staff do a great job. They are all just a little unsure with revised EYFS. I have added your pointers to my fact sheet.

Rea - Thank you - I have printed the document off, to hand out to them at the staff meeting this evening. I have gone through and highlighted the key areas that I think they should read up on.

Catma - I will investigate the Ofsted reports; are they easy to find??

Miss Red x

Thank you for that Catma. The new report format makes interesting reading!

For anyone else trying to find them I just did a search. I chose reports published in the last month, my area, and childcare on non domestic premises and up came a list. There were some published within the last month where the inspection had actually taken place in August so the format was still the old one.

The ones I read were good and it states very early on that povison 'is not yet outstanding because......'

Guest sn0wdr0p

I think the new guidance from ofsted is super as it shows examples of what you need to get a satisfactory, good or outstanding in each area. If you read it you can't go far wrong. It really helped me look at what areas we needed to improve on. I gave a copy to me deputy and room leaders who also found it very useful.

I agree with Gezabel the new inspection report format is user friendly and makes clear what each setting needs to do to improve.

We have just had a full children's centre Ofsted. We got the phonecall last Thursday and there was a pre inspection visit on Tuesday to clarify the timetable and also to check the Single Central Register (crb's). The two inspectors were in for two full days and looked into everything in great detail. They were very clear about what they wanted to see gave us every opportunity to produce the evidence. Obviously I cannot disclose the outcome but the process was very open, honest and professional. Sometimes they challenged us about evidence and sometimes we challenged them about judgements. I would advise any children's centre that has daycare and creche's/stay and plays to have evidence of children's starting points even if they only attend a creche for a short period. Also try and get the FSP scores from any schools your children who have attended the centre go to. They are looking to track children's progress from the first casual attendance to the end of reception.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Morning all,

I have a number of staff that have never been in a nursery when an inspection has taken place. Like others I'm over due, (sitting at 4 years now). So, I want to make a simple factsheet for my staff to have to hand one what ofsted will look for/ask/what they should do?

Any pointers in addition to the recent post made by the lady had her first inspection at the beginning of September?

Thanks in advance

Once complete I am happy to share it with you all!!!

Hello there, would you mind if you can kindly attached the checklist you made up for you staff i am due for an inspection soon as well 4 years.

Thanks

We have just had a full children's centre Ofsted. We got the phonecall last Thursday and there was a pre inspection visit on Tuesday to clarify the timetable and also to check the Single Central Register (crb's). The two inspectors were in for two full days and looked into everything in great detail. They were very clear about what they wanted to see gave us every opportunity to produce the evidence. Obviously I cannot disclose the outcome but the process was very open, honest and professional. Sometimes they challenged us about evidence and sometimes we challenged them about judgements. I would advise any children's centre that has daycare and creche's/stay and plays to have evidence of children's starting points even if they only attend a creche for a short period. Also try and get the FSP scores from any schools your children who have attended the centre go to. They are looking to track children's progress from the first casual attendance to the end of reception.

Hi does this mean that Children's centres get advance notice of an Inspection .....not a level playing field then,as we have NO notice as a PVI.....

It's because there is a different framework for CC Inspections, just as it is in schools too because the regulatory framework sits in different legislation. Schools get 1/2 a day notice and CCs get 2 days (from memory, the framework changed April this year and now I can't remember!).

There are various reasons but a CC is not about just providing childcare - they have a different core purpose around families and services. They may have childcare within the CC but this would be inspected separately under the EYR inspection framework and unless done concurrently is not a focus of the CC inspection. They may also have several sites that need to be inspected and there needs to be a certain amount of planning so the team of sometimes up to 3 inspectors can work across the group or federation of Centres. The inspection event is always more than 1 day, unlike PV settings who only ever have a day! The lead Inspector cannot just turn up and put all that into place as this would take up a lot of the Inspection time allocated by Ofsted. The time between the notice and event is used to plan by the Inspection team.

Cx

• Like 1