Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Communication And Language

Not sure if this is in the right place but I am sure someone wonderful will move it if it isnt!

We have got a very high number of children with communication and language difficulties this year in our nursery and I was wondering if anyone could recommend an effective programme to support their development, like an intervention group we can do ?

Thanks,

Emie

We use a speech and language programme called 'WellComm'. We screen every child as they come into our nursery. Basically you take the child's age in months and follow the questionnaire for that age band. There are 5 questions on expressive use of language and 5 on comprehension. It is very well laid out and easy to follow with a 'rule' book for the questions and a handbook of resources to accompany each question. Children are then given a score (depending on how many they answered correctly) and coded green, amber or red. If the child scores amber or red, you keep going back a developmental stage until the child scores a green.

The next band up is then the one that you will work on for targets. You get to input the answers and the software generates an action plan; there are also ideas for parents to do at home linked to the action plan. It really is all laid out and all ideas for the action plans are included.

We then do intervention groups once a week (we only have the children in 2.5 days).

You can find out more here

http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/products/wellcomm-speech-and-language-toolkit-early-years

we bought the scheme as part of a consortium of schools, children's centres and playgroups and work closely with a speech and language therapist too within the health service that serves our area. We had training altogether with the company to get us underway. Hope that helps

We do language land in school which has had a positive impact with our children. And we have brought into the big community (i think its callled) as a school at a cost of £8000 a year and we have been told we can refer as many children for speech therapy etc

There is a new early years programme being launched by ICAN in association with the Nuffield Centre for speech and language needs. When I went to recent conference it sounded quite good and easy to deliver.May be costly though.

We use ECat and ICAN ideas and resources - staff have completed both training courses and we are ICAN accredited, and elements from both are used, along with providing communication friendly spaces as per Elizabeth Jarman :1b

Intervention groups statistically produce pretty minimal results and often cost a lot - more cost effective is to just ensure you are providing a language rich environment with well trained staff, and if you need extra support tap into your local Speech and Language therapy team, Children's Centre or Early Years Advisory team - all free ;)

You will probably find that in a few weeks a lot of children will have improved significantly just by being with you rather than being babysat by 'screens' i.e television and computers.

Does anyone have a list of useful websites or place to go for parents as regards communication and language development?

I would like to develop a display about good practice in developing C&L in young children - to show our approach to developing C&L skills. Has anyone done such a display and is there a leaflet or handout that I could base the display on (just so I don't forget anything!)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

www.talkingpoint.org.uk has some useful resources, including a booklet called "Universally Speaking" which parents can order. There are also some great sheets which are free to download: http://www.talkingpoint.org.uk/EY-worker/EY%20Directory/Free%20Resources%20for%20Parents.aspx

The ECAT screen is very quick: http://www.wigan.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1C28277F-4E17-4DC7-BACF-C3B2D5DC4D17/0/ECATChildMonitoringTool.pdf

I agree with redjayne that the best intervention is to ensure you have a language rich environment and staff who are skilled at developing each child's speech, language and communication through play. Listening is key so if you have the capacity for small groups, maybe lots of the Letters and Sounds Phase 1 suggestions.

It might be worth phoning your local speech and language department to ask if they can send you some general suggestions and to check if any of the children need referring ASAP.

ICAN have a free phoneback service where a qualified Speech and Language Therapist phones you back to discuss concerns you may have about children:

http://www.ican.org.uk/What-we-do/I%20CAN%20Help.aspx

Ohh dear Catma what a shame - even as a good setting we still get some support and so far nobody has mentioned charging for it - when I see what other Local authorities offer ( or not as the case may be!) I am so pleased I work in Portsmouth. :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)