Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Aarg! Work Sheets!

Conker

Can I have a rant....Committee have decided to run a 'Pre-School' session for those children off to school next Sept on an afternoon, now thats not so bad in theory, quite a few mums have signed up to this although we have lost voucherable children from other sessions. BUT they have also staffed it with a couple of comittee members who are primary teachers and I know they are using worksheets with the children :( one of my staff is in working with them ( and should know better!) and said they dont make the children do them, but its what the parents want. It is very structured and I know its only for a couple of hours but.... This year group is very young and most have summer birthdays....it just so makes me so mad!! it just goes against all we work towards during the morning sessions doing lovely child centered activities and continous provision that all gets put away. Honestly they will have plenty of time for this sit at a table activities when they get into year 1.

Just needed to share that!

Committe have said they have checked with ofsted( I sometimes wonder if they know their A from their E) and it is fine for them to run it (my staff member is a level 3) parents dont stay, and they either pay pro rata like a normal session or are voucherable.

I have no idea, this committee seem to be a law unto themselves!

This seems very strange to me especially if children are being left and paid for even if a level 3 staff member there, is she being pd and I guess she's the first aider? Is She your deputy ?.....May be worth asking your early years advisor what their take on this is and I'd be inclined to check with ofsted myself.

She's not my deputy and not a first aider till next week when she has finished her course, so they got another girl who is a first aider but not any qualifications to come in to cover......I know it just gets worse.

I have just been in touch with my eya and she is coming to see me on Thursday, I shall run it past her before I involve ofsted, thanks mouse. :1b

• Like 1

She's not my deputy and not a first aider till next week when she has finished her course, so they got another girl who is a first aider but not any qualifications to come in to cover......I know it just gets worse.

I have just been in touch with my eya and she is coming to see me on Thursday, I shall run it past her before I involve ofsted, thanks mouse. :1b

Good for you - don't forget to let us know how you get on :1b

• Like 1

Hi, just a little update as my eya came today.

She spent most of the morning talking to the two co chairs. She also spoke to the leader of the afternoon session.

When I spoke to her after, she said she had given them the business advice contacts and suggested they should talk to them as certain legalities had to be adhered to. She also said it didn't sound like they were following the EYFS as children shouldnt be taken away from free choice activities of which there also should be more available. She is going to visit them on one of the sessions.

So I will have to wait and see.

It should be an interesting committee meeting this monday as they have requested time at the end to ' talk through staff issues' :blink: