Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Leuven Scale

Melba

Can I ask for some more useful info?

I have started trying to observe from the Leuven Scale and would like to know how anyone uses the information they get from it?

Also do you observe at different times? A child could be very involved one minute and flitting around the next so how do you make a balanced judgement of their level on the scale or does that just apply to what you are observing at the time?

How often would you observe from the scale?

Thanks

Edited by Melba

We tend to look at the scales as a general over a snapshot observation so a child might be particularly involved in an activity, or apparently busy in the home corner, but when you really look, they are looking around the room, and not purposefully involved in their activity.

Our observations are at different times anyway, and sometimes we do a time sample to look at what a child is doing over a period of time, in 5 minute samples. This also shows involvement and well-being and can help us to plan activities where we see a child is more purposefully involved.

We use the scale for every observation

Just had a little one start with me. Lovely, but almost silent 2 year old. Mum is very anxious about every aspect of his care.....................and showed me his previous carer's report on him, which stated that, in her opinion, the child is working at a Leuven scale level of MINUS 4. Now, I may be getting a little old and forgetful, but as far as I know, no such level exists? I have been reporting back to mum daily and yes, he IS very quiet and not keen, or willing yet to join in, and I really want to help that, but the child was with the previous carer for 18 months and I am beginning to wonder just how negative an experience this has been for him. Reading his learning journey, there are lots of moans and gripes from carer and virtually every experience that was offered to the child seems to have been met with a negative comment from her. I really think I'm going to have a long haul with this child, and feel very much like going back to basics, even to the extent of 'baby games' to establish where he truly is developmentally. Nice to have mum say how thrilled she was to have somebody make some positive statements about her child though.

Back to thread: yes, we use the Leuven scales in the same way as Cait

We use them in that way too. I hope that over time they will help to show the types of activity that each child enjoys and also to demonstrate a developing ability to focus on an activity. I feel they are more of a prompt to action for myself, than an assessment of the child - hence I'd be mortified to report a child was working at minus 4 - even if such a level on the scale existed!

I met professor Leuven once, he explained that the scale is not rocket science and that it is easy to see how involved a child is and whether they are enjoying/involved in what they are doing. He intentionally made the scale as simple as he could so it couldn't be messed around with and so everyone was using a uniform scale - it sounds very much like this previous carer that Narnia has met has made up her/his own scale.

We use the Leuven scale once a term and reflect upon the child's general involvement/wellbeing, however, if I were to be looking at/monitoring a child's progress in a particular area (such as learning to speak up or enjoying a particular activity) then I would be using the scale at more regular times.

Hope that helps a little.

Spiral :-)

I'm a big fan of the Leuven scales and have used them with settings to support reflective practice and self evaluation. I think looking back to professor Laevers' original research it was more in this camp, using what you see in the scores to develop practice further, as a whole, as well as for individual children.

Its always interesting to hear how others use them, but certainly there are no negative scores! Odd, that.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of the Leuven scales and have used them with settings to support reflective practice and self evaluation. I think looking back to professor Laevers' original research it was more in this camp, using what you see in the scores to develop practice further, as a whole, as well as for individual children.

Its always interesting to hear how others use them, but certainly there are no negative scores! Odd, that.

X

Can you tell us how you used the scales to reflect and evaluate as that sounds interesting?

• Like 1

Gotta love leuven - heard him talk a few times too.

we too use it as a spur of the moment judgment, they are done with each long ob and i do a scan 2-3 times ayear

we also use use them on areas to help improve those

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)