Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Much Training On New Eyfs?

Hi!

Just wondered how much training people have been given on the new EYFS and how this was done?

I am TA ( and now an EYPS!) in a school nursery. The LA funded a training event for the Nursery and Reception Teachers and the EYFS Coordinator, but not for TAs in nursery and reception. The Nursery teacher has woked hard over the summer sorting out new record keeping systems etc for the new EYFS, together with new baselines and observation sheets etc. it obviously makes sense to her as she's spent many hours on it, but I've not had any training on it at all. :mellow: I have a copy of the new EYFS and Development Matters but would've liked some proper training . Also I can see no evidence of the Supervision requirements from our EYFS Coordinator- i think there may be an assumption that's not a school thing!

Hvae people 'cascaded' the training down in some way, or are staff picking it all up as they go along? My intenetion is to spend some time tomorrow studying all the stuff I have to complete so it makes more sense. If not, I'll be aksing for some paid training time!! ;)

We had a 'briefing' (which we had to pay for???) This consisted of someone reading out the readily available summary sheet thingy-with a few pointer as to where the full statements were in the full printed version. Not worth the effort of attending to be honest.

At our training we knew more than the trainers as most of us had read the new stuff whereas they actually hadn't!!! Ridiculous. If you read it thoroughly you will know as much as you need too, if you have previously worked with the old EYFS you should find it quite straightforward to make sense of the new statements

I have given staff a copy of the development matters book and then found online somewhere just the statements rather than the support bits under each area.

I have given them a copy of those too.

On Friday we all sat together looking at the statements and areas when looking at some photographs we had taken during the session.

I think as max321 says if you used the old eyfs then this isn't really very different. It's just a little shift round of areas and consequently statements!

We did briefings for SLT/Leads but then do expect EYFS leads to cascade - after all the clue is in their titles. They had all the resources we had given to them! There isn't the capacity in LAs to train everyone individually!!

• Like 1

I feel really lucky as our LA provided training by Helen Moylett who was instrumental in the review and 'writing' the new EYFS so our training came straight from the top. I have then been cascading the information down over three team meetings. We have looked at the changes, looked at how it will affect us, discussed the Characteristics of Effective Learning, the new DM's, the new areas of learning, the 2 year old check etc. Having said all that though, it is new to everyone, so it still a case of muddling through together until we get used to it all.

Beehive

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)