Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition From Old Eyfs To Revised Eyfs

Hi, how is everyone transferring each child's previous observation/development records to the new EYFS, We previously used a observation list which shows each area of learning and we put a date by the relevent month when we have an observation, but we cant just add onto that now as the areas of learning are different now. we could start a fresh but then it would seem a waste to not use all the observations you have previously made. please help. i hope this makes sense

We're keeping all the lovely obs! What we've done is to look at the new statements and judge the level where we feel the child is learning, we will continue to assess at that level whilst we consolidate the changeover.

• Like 1

same as Cait - we have assessed against the new DM statements (some areas look like the children have fallen back and in others, jumped ahead but it's the way the statements have been grouped!)

We have identified next steps in learning from this and added them to the MTP ready to focus on those next week

Old observations have remained as they were as they were reflective of the curriculum at the time taken.

I like that it's quicker to complete the assessments (because there are less statements) but because there is less i'm finding the assessment record (at a glance, visually) isn't reflecting 'the child' as well as the old one - where a strength or development was obvious before it appears to be being 'levelled' because there is more of other things in with it now <once again has started to explain something and does it badly!> Hope that makes sense

In some ways, i wish it had gone the other way and had more statements in (especially to explain those that could have meant anything!) but we will endeavour to do our best <waits for the next change to come along!>

We're keeping all the lovely obs! What we've done is to look at the new statements and judge the level where we feel the child is learning, we will continue to assess at that level whilst we consolidate the changeover.

ooo Cait this was your 7,777 post YAY!! That's got to be lucky!

I'd also say that an observation is just a moment recorded - the analysis of the observation can be done against any set of criteria so previous obs will remain valid and useful. If a child was also summatively assessed as being in a certain age band I don't believe this will change just because of the new EYFS, so a child demonstrating the broad skills of a 30 -50 month old child (which is after all anything between 2 and a half and just over 4) will still be demonstrating the broad skills described in the dev matters in sept.

It will all even out in the end!!

Cx

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)