Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Glossary

Froglet

This is probably going to sound very stupid but bear with me!

One of the things I find hardest about getting any new (or revised!) document in to my head is the terms used. Even if they haven't actually changed I start finding that I doubt myself and get confused about what I'm talking about. It's even worse when talking to people who don't sleep with the EYFS under their pillow (SLT in school!) and I can find I've been talking at cross purposes for ages.

So, I was wondering if anyone would like to confirm that they are talking about the same thing as me!

Theme - unique child, positive relationships, enabling environment, learning and development

Characteristics of effective learning - are, well, characteristics of effective learning!

Area of Learning - there are 7 of these, 3 prime (PSED, PD, CL) and 4 specific (Lit, Maths, Understanding the World, Expressive Arts and Design)

Aspect - the 'sub-headings' within each Area of learning

Now a question - what do you call the statements within each aspect? I'm pretty sure I refer to them as 'DM statements' and the ELG is the one in bold in the 40-60 month bracket.

Am I talking rubbish? I'm very tempted to put an 'EY dictionary' up on the wall in the staff room so that passing KS2 teachers can understand me!

• Like 1

Looks good to me Helen. We advise our foundation degree students to use a little address book to make their own glossary for just this reason - its a good way to make sure they use vocabulary and terminology correctly and also that they understand exactly what they're talking about! :P

• Like 2

Thank you! The inside of my head is a big swirly mess of EYFS soup at the moment. I keep trying to get a rest from it by doing reading for other areas I'm responsible for but as they include anti-bullying and SRE it's not helping much!

HappyMaz - the address book is a really good idea! Thank you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)