Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Planning, Getting It Right!

Hello!

I have recently started working as an EYP in a preschool that takes children from 2, and I have come from a large chain nursery where planning and observations had to be done a certain way and were checked often by the higher powers! So I'm trying to figure out the best way to plan in my new setting, and I just don't know if I'm getting it right or not, so would appreciate some feedback!

Spontaneous observations carried out all of the time.... I have devised some sticky labels that we will just jot down a quick sentence on, circle areas of development, age bracket and learning style, write DM and next steps. All of this fits on a sticker that fits 8 to a pg A4, so not very big, but enough room to jot down a quick obs of a child. These sticker observations will get stuck in the learning journey's next to a photo of the observation (if there is a photo!), with a minimum of 2 per half term.

The next steps of these spontaneous observations will feed into the planning for the following week. I currently plan on a Friday for the following week, with a mixture of child let and adult led activities, and try and cover all areas. I plan 2 activities per day. So each half term every child will have at least one activity planned just for them (but accessed by all), with the write up of this going in their learning journey.

Now at present we don't have a system in place for enhancing certain areas, I just have a box on the daily planning for area enhancements, but we do this as and when we want to... so for example we had a teddy bears picnic and everything in the writing area related to this, as did the home corner, malleable, reading area, outdoor area was set up for a picnic etc. Whereas I'm wondering if I should have a separate area enhancement planning sheet to follow on from the rest of the spontaneous observations because obviously won't be able to plan for every observation written down in a week. Or am I making more work for myself??

So to summarise I plan weekly with a more detailed daily plan which I essentially re write but for individual children and more 'learning journey friendly' and then do spontaneous observations throughout the week. I don't focus on particular children for spontaneous observations, but do have a matrix so we tick off each child and I ensure I've planned for each child and observed each child during the half term.

I will upload the files so you can see what I mean as I'm not sure I'm making sense!

Daily Planning.doc

Weekly Planning.doc

Observation Stickers.doc

Yes, I can see where you are going with this. But (sorry) what happens if the observation covers more than one area of learning at different age band levels? Two stickers?

well in theory we would just circle all areas/ages covered and write the DM for the main area we would use for next steps, but you're right on reflection that might not work so well! my head is just constantly going round and round in circles trying to figure out the best system to use!! at my previous job I only planned for my own key children and that was it, so I'm finding it really difficult trying to plan for the whole group and really want to get it right for September!

I think your best bet is just to work with your team to find the best method that works for you. After all, it will be you using it, and what works in your setting may not work in mine and vice versa

Hi - I've had a 'nose' at all of your documents - all looks good to me.......I agree with Cait - give it a go and see if it works for you :1b

(if it's any consolation - I change my planning methods like the weather :ph34r: :blink: xD )

• Like 1

nice and colourful!

I bet there are as many different methods of planning as there are preschools, nurseries etc. I wonder how many of us end the year with the same method of planning that they started it with!

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)