Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Don't Really Know Where To Start With Planning And Obs !

Hi all. I have been reading with much interest on this forum, information regarding planning and observations. I have managed to download many, many wonderful examples that all you lovely people put on here, for that i will say a HUGE thank you. :D

Without sounding stupid, i am still feeling a bit confused with the best way to organise my planning, observations etc etc. :(

Can anyone recommend a really good book that i could purchase (an up to date version taking into account the revised EYFS) that contains examples of planning, obs and how to put them into practice ?

I just want to be really prepared for September but sad to say i feel rather confused at the moment. :blink:

You don't sound stupid at all, some of us have been trying to figure it out for years and we're still never happy with our planning, I must drive my staff mad I'm forever tweaking it...some staff found it particularly difficult to move away from themes/ topics ,knowing exactly what was going to be happening weeks ahead, and move into next steps and interests (let's be honest some children just don't show that they,re particularly interested in anything) not sure about any books, someone may do, ( presuming you have acopy of the new eyfs framework) but let us all in on it if you do, good luck :)

• Like 2

Penny Tassoni has revised her EYFS handbook and if you're friends with her on facebook she's negotiated a 20% discount. If you're on facebook you could do a lot worse than send her a facebook request and get your discount! :1b

Hi Gezabel

It may be that you aren't looking at her own personal profile. Her profile picture is a little girl in a red dress doing some ironing.

Is that the page you can see?

Hi Gezabel

. Her profile picture is a little girl in a red dress doing some ironing.

Is that the page you can see?

It wasn't ( had her professional profile) but it is now and friend request sent. Stupidly I ordered the book or should I say pre-ordered the book from amazon yesterday!! due to be despatched on 2nd October

Hi, I feel that if we stick to using the development matters from the new EYFS these act aa a great guide to what we are observing in age stage development for individual children. If we start using the birth the three and practice principle cards I feel we will get ourselves muddled, so stick to the one book and everything should flow right. The great thing is when using a observation you can relate it back to the book and assess where the child is in development and where there next step should be. I think we are all going to take time to be ready for September especially if you run term time only.

Hi, I feel that if we stick to using the development matters from the new EYFS these act aa a great guide to what we are observing in age stage development for individual children. If we start using the birth the three and practice principle cards I feel we will get ourselves muddled, so stick to the one book and everything should flow right. The great thing is when using a observation you can relate it back to the book and assess where the child is in development and where there next step should be. I think we are all going to take time to be ready for September especially if you run term time only.

I could'nt agree more the DM have some really good suggestions and guidance along with the old PIP cards

Youa cant go wrong if you follow observations along with all you know about that child , their interests and planning next steps around those principles

I am an leading early years member and practitioners come and visit to sort out many things they arent happy with or want to get different perspective but it always ends up being a discussion around planning, its a huge topic and everyone has their own ideas and what works for one setting doesnt always work for another

good luck and their are never stupid questions

I could'nt agree more the DM have some really good suggestions and guidance along with the old PIP cards

Youa cant go wrong if you follow observations along with all you know about that child , their interests and planning next steps around those principles.

good luck and their are never stupid questions

I couldn't agree more . I think what's happened is at the briefings we have attended we have been told not to use thm as a tick lists and that has thrown alot of settings but what you have said make sense and they are still a very useful tool to use.

smiles

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)