Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys

Hi all, don't know if anyone will know this but I have been told the learning journeys will now have a greater focus during inspection and moderation. They have to show how the children have progressed and children need to be more involved in putting them together. Does anyone have any ideas about this as i will be new to reception and now getting worried about so much change!

Thank you

To be really honest It's not a "requirement", you can keep your records any way you like and Ofsted will not be looking for any particular thing, if they look at them at all.

They will be looking for good or better learning as it normally is so they will look at children's capabilties and see how the teaching is challenging them. Your tracking of progress is more likely to be looked at as this shows the overall effectiveness of the key stage. This would be the schools data based on your assessments of children and demonstrating progress from on entry points. Very rarely do they look at individual children's records. They are more interested in the bigger picture.

cx

We had our Ofsted just before half-term. We put our learning journeys out in the classroom, as they asked for 'books' to be out in rooms across the school, so we thought we'd put ours out. They didn't get looked at during observation sessions, but after my one-to-one 'chat' with the Early Years member of the team I got him to come and look at some of ours, even though he was meant to be back in their meeting room!! He was really positive about them.

Data is great to show progress and our inspection team were very keen to see well analysed data, but nothing says that a child is happy and secure at school like photos and other evidence in a learning journey. I think sometimes with Ofsted you have to make them look, even if they don't ask. You need to do everything you can to show them what you are doing, especially if you know that it shows something positive. Blind them with science! That's my opinion anyway!!

You need to do everything you can to show them what you are doing, especially if you know that it shows something positive. Blind them with science! That's my opinion anyway!!

Yes you need to be positive about what you do, but in inspection terms if children are making progress and if in your lesson observations they can see positive relationships and appropriate challenge, and this is translating into good or better outcomes they don't need to see the folders really! An inspection timetable is very busy to cover all the things they must look at and EYFS individual records aren't on that list! The only EYFS documentation referenced in the inspection schedule is the EYFSP outcomes.

Some will look, some won't, but in reality the EYFS lead's interview would be the most usual place for systems to be shared and discussed as that is where they will gather most evidence about that kind of thing.

Guest ShelleyT

The OFSTED inspector we had was only interested in Learning Journeys! It was the first thing she wanted to see and the first thing she asked about. x

thanks for all your replies. It's all very confusing and yes, varied. Just reading a book out about new EYFS which places quite a bit of emphasis on learning journeys and children's involvement in these. It seemed like more paper not less like it is supposed to be!

Hi Kathyscitt

Could I ask which book you have been reading? I've bought a couple recently which have had great ideas about planning from children's interests and learniing journeys but I am always on the look out for more fab ideas!

Thanks

Becs

hi Fredbear

From vacant-engaged by Alistair Bryce-Clegg( ABCdoes.com) - this book is fab, so inspirational.

The Reception Year in Action by Anna Ephgrave - I've taken her focussed observation format and adapted it for us to use in Sept. My TA has trialled it this term for me and loves the way it works.

I've lent both these books to my team - teachers and TAs and they have all come back buzzing with ideas. It's been great.

Becs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)