Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Am Are Or Aren't I?

I have been teaching for twenty something years. I have a B.A. and a PGCE awarded in 1986 and 1987. They are my teaching qualifications. QTS did not exist, although there was a one year probationary period with no certification when you completed it.

On the EYPS application form you have to indicate if you have QTS. I didn't tick it because strictly speaking I don't hold it.

For interview I have to give proof of achieving O level English and Maths which is long lost. I took those in 1978. The provider is insisting I have to get copies which costs a fortune but hey ho.

To begin a PGCE you have to have O level Maths and English, grade c or above but that is not acceptable evidence.

This feels a little unfair since QTS did not exist. Does any one know if I can have QTS awarded by virtue of the fact that I do the job, have the o levels and that it didn't exist for my generation?

Or do I just indicate that I have QTS? Does it mean I can never apply for another job if they are asking for QTS!!??

Feeling frustrated, hard done by and £80 poorer!

Susan - thanks for replying.

So the provider should accept my PGCE as proof of the O level English and Maths grade C or above. (Both 'A's actually and I was very proud of that!)

Does a new QTS get a certificate or an ID number? I obviously don't have either.

Do I need a QTS number? I've seen it asked for on job application forms

Where/how do I get it?

Thanks for your help.

Hi

The number you need is your DFE number which is proof of QTS. You should be able to get this from work or whoever is storing the General Teaching Council database now that they are defunct. You may also be able to ring the Dept. For Education direct? Hope this helps. I'm sure someone will be along to clarify things further for you. Good luck.

QTS just means qualified teacher status and that is what a PGCE qualification is for. So yes you do have QTS. Many teachers go into teaching via the PGCE route, secondary teachers in particular, after doing a degree course in the subject they teach. Your DFE number will be retrievable from your LA as you would not have been able to continue teaching without it, give them a ring. It is the number on your GTC card which you may still have as we were sent a new one each year, even though they are now defunct. The number usually begins with the year you qualified, or began training for us older ones. (Mine begins 65)

If you were in any doubt about QTS, if you don't have it you are paid at a low level and not on the main scale.

Thank you all. All sorted now.

I remember that little dog-eared postcard sized thing from the DFE. It's gone but I did request a letter from the DFE to confirm that I had qualified a few years ago, and I have it safely filed.

Application for replacement certificates cancelled within 24 hours so I should get a full refund. Yippee!

Thank you all again :)

Er.....I'm pretty certain that you will still need the O level certificates. I work for two EYPS providers in the South East and we are required to see the certificates before a candidate can begin the course.

Well - I have told them exactly what I have, who issued it to me and the exact wording on the letter. I have it in writing from them that this is what they require so this is what I will take with me to the interview.

We'll see. We'll see.

I hope that's enough and they will accept it; I know exactly what you mean about having to have the GCSEs to get on the PGCE in the first place! Let us know how it goes, and good luck :1b

Well there's a thing! I cancelled the application for the replacement certificates within the 24 hours to get a refund but they've arrived anyway and I've got the refund! So I am now covered in all areas! :D

Interview is next Thursday.

Well there's a thing! I cancelled the application for the replacement certificates within the 24 hours to get a refund but they've arrived anyway and I've got the refund! So I am now covered in all areas! :D

Interview is next Thursday.

That's what I call a result! xD

Good luck with your interview :1b

• 2 weeks later...

Day of interview came in a flurry of nerves and passed quite smoothly. Don't know why I got so nervous...yes I do, it was the wording - 'presentation' - it was really a chat about what I do at school and then I read off my bullet points...Nothing at all to get anxious about.

Anyway, they told me there and then that I have a place and my offer came in writing today :)

As for the QTS letter vs expensive replacement certificates discussion...the QTS letter was enough but I had the certifs with me too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)