Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent Conduct Procedure

flowlow

Hi all

We have lots of policies around how staff are to behave and remain professional etc... but we have been advised to make a up a policy that covers how parents should behave towards staff, do any of you have something like this in place already?

Putting it in context a little we have a family that are quite challenging to work with coming back into contact with the pre-school shortly. This family made an unfounded complaint about a member of staff, so we are trying to think ahead so we are 'safeguarded' working with this family.

We have implemented a physical code of conduct clearly stating what is and is not acceptable physical contact, we have updated complaints policies, but what we don't have and have been recommended to get is some kind of home pre-school agreement that covers the way parents will treat/behave with us and clear consequences if this is not adhered to. Does this make sense?

If anyone has anything like this that they would be willing to share would be very grateful :D

This is just the kind of thing we are going to introduce following my 'going to court for non payment of fees' posts. This parent was basically a bully and we dont ever want to experience anything like it ever again. We havent yet devised it so I will follow this post with interest

• Like 1

I've never had a policy like this, but I'd guess it would need to be fairly explicit in the terms used to describe the kind of inappropriate behaviour you are talking about. If the language is too bland, you run the risk of leaving matters open to interpretation by both parties. What I consider to be aggressive or threatening behaviour/language, might not overly concern you.

If no-one has a policy, you might ask your Local Authority or Health Trust - there is usually a poster on display somewhere in doctor's surgeries or Town Hall reception areas that state what will happen if members of the public become abusive, so I imagine there must be a policy somewhere to back this up.

• Like 1

Isn't it a sign of the times that we have to do this!!!

Well I am going to try and get something together by the end of the week :ph34r: so in what ever form it takes I would be happy to share if anyone would like, although bearing in mind this is the first time we have done it so it may not be 'right' so to speak.

We thought we may use it as an opportunity to ask parents what needs to be in it and do a questionnaire to help formulate it, but I still need something to start with in order to ask them in the first place! :P whatever happens it has to be in place by end of term.

Thinking about it, it may be that we do a home pre-school agreement that refers to more detailed policies rather than trying to get it all on the home school agreement (I think that makes sense xD )

we had one, it was signed by us and parent, they had a copy and we had one.. it was more of an agreement to terms and conditions, as well as what we expected from them including behaviour, and what they could expect from us..

We felt if we were setting terms out for them to follow then there really should be some comment on what we would be doing as well..

had to set it up a long time ago when a parent was aggressive towards me...

was very similar to the one Deb has posted.. we made sure they were very aware of the clause about us having the right to exclude them if necessary.

• Like 1

Hi we have a parent code of conduct - which gives bullet points to how we expect to work together and what we expect them to share/ tell/ respect and What they must refrain from ie shouting at staff, children, use of mobiles etc.

Hi we have a parent code of conduct - which gives bullet points to how we expect to work together and what we expect them to share/ tell/ respect and What they must refrain from ie shouting at staff, children, use of mobiles etc.

Hi Alyson would you be willing to share this one?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)