Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fostering

Hi all,

Just to update you all. My hubby and I have just completed the Fostering Course and I now have to complete a portfolio stating competences ( a bit like an NVQ unit).

We have had numerous assessment visits from a social worker, they started off quite tense, a bit like having lots of interviews, but now they have become much more informal. :D Only two more assessment visits to go.

The course also included a "personality/attitude" assessment element and the tutor told us on Monday that we have passed that. :D

The next step is for the social worker to interview family and referees, to complete the course portfolio, to do health and safety risk assessments on the home and then all this is collated to go to "panel".

Hopefully this will all be completed by September.

Hubby and I have been spurred on to do all the decorating and refurbishing our home needed, new shower room, extending the bathroom, ensuite next to master bedroom ( something we would have done eventually, but now are motivated to do it sooner rather than later).

We plan to have a once in a lifetime holiday at the end of September, maybe Bahamas and then hopefully have a sibling group of children placed with us in time for Christmas. Wouldn't that be great a house full of children at christmas time. :D

I am keeping my Preschool open ( couldn't bear to let it go) having promoted my deputy to manager and persauding my step daughter not to leave ( her mum is helping her with her son's before and afterschool childcare needs).

I shall only be involved in the admin side of the business ( although when I have time I shall go in to play and tell a story or two :o ).

So, what seemed like a very dismal time in my life a few months ago has started to turn around for the better. I shall still be able to be an advocate for young children and still be able to "make a difference".

Thanks to all of you for keeping me positive through rough times, there is still a way to go but everything feels rosy :D:D .

Peggy

p.s. Is there anyone else out there who is a Foster carer?

Peggy, that is fantastic news!

I'm so glad things are working out for you: it doesn't seem so long ago that you were feeling so down and negative. It just goes to show with a little luck (and a lot of hard work) situations can be turned around.

I'm sure you'll be a fantastic foster family - and its great that you've found a way to keep the pre-school as well.

Let us know how things progress, won't you?

Maz

Peggy

I am really pleased for you- good luck with it all.

My husband and I are currently undergoing the process for respite care- it seems to take an age just for forms that we have filled in to be picked up so we can move onto the next step.

Enjoy the summer.

Lorna

Hi Peggy ..... I have the greatest admiration for you .... :):):):)

I know I couldn't do it either (I've got enough on my hands with my own two (and one of them is grown up!) and Pre-school etc. etc.etc.) How do you do it all ????????????????

Wishing you great success!

janice x

Hi Peggy -

Well done, and it's good to hear you back on top again! :D

I have one set of friends who are foster carers, and another couple of friends who have just adopted. I know it's a long and beurocratic process to get acceptance so I have the greatest admiration of you for sticking with it. Best of luck for the closing stretch! :)

Excelent nes Peggy - well done  :D

35584[/snapback]

Thanks Hali,

And my hubby thought I was the only one who made up words :D:D

Peggy

Peggy

I am really pleased for you- good luck with it all.

My husband and I are currently undergoing the process for respite care- it seems to take an age just for forms that we have filled in to be picked up so we can move onto the next step.

Enjoy the summer.

Lorna

35585[/snapback]

Hi Lorna,

We have found the process very enlightening, it has helped us learn about each other as a couple/partnership. Good luck with getting through all the next steps. Enjoy your summer too.

Peggy

Hi Peggy -

Well done, and it's good to hear you back on top again!  :D

I have one set of friends who are foster carers, and another couple of friends who have just adopted. I know it's a long and beurocratic process to get acceptance so I have the greatest admiration of you for sticking with it. Best of luck for the closing stretch!  :)

35594[/snapback]

Hi Steve,

I have had quite a few Foster children attend preschool and this is why we became interested, and the fact that our own children have grown and fled the nest.

My brother has adopted ( under quite tragic circumstances) and I remember, for him, it took years. His face however when he came to tell me it had all gone through was priceless. :)

I have learnt through the process the importance of the agency thoroughly understanding and knowing ( to the best of their ability) the people they are placing children with, so the time it takes is understandable. It is also important for us as a couple to get ready for the iminent changes in our life.

Peggy

Thank you all for your good wishes,

I considered the difference between preschool work and Fostering.

Preschool = 28 children per day :D (and their parents :( ) and 6 staff to manage. :wacko:

plus working every hour god sends on paperwork. :o

Fostering = 5 children 24/7 ( we are looking to care for siblings, to keep families together) some parent contact, social worker contact, a supportive agency and some paperwork. :D:D

It should be a doddle in comparison. xD:(:(

I know it will be hard work but to be at home awhile is appealing and the feel good factor when childrens lives are improved. :D

Peggy

OH Peggy, Peggy. Peggy

Sorry I am a bit late responding and though I am not normally overly emotional I had tears in my eyes when I read your message, It is simply the most wonderful, wonderful news and I am really thrilled for you.

I know we have never 'met' in the true sense of the word but I think you are ideal, absolutely ideal to be a foster Mum and what lucky children they will be to get placed with you.

I have no doubt you will continue to make a difference and I send you my very, very very best wishes and good luck - do keep us up to date with how it goes.

Ohhh PEggy WELL DONE, WELL DONE and WELL DONE AGAIN!!

lovely news Peggy and all the best for this chaoter in your lives.

My sister in law is going through this process too, and there have certtainly been as many downs as ups in the application process. But they are now close to the final hurdles and are really looking forward to their first foster children. They have loads of room, having 7 chidlrn of their own, most of them having left the nest now.

Do keep us posted wont you, Im sure we wll all want to hear your news.

I'm really pleased for you and Mr Peggy.

Although I'm not a foster carer, I was myself fostered from 2 years old until adulthood (I guess I still am fostered in a way at age 27?!), so if you ever want a different perspective on things I'd be glad to help, as I had a very happy unbringing with my foster family. :)

All the best with it - I know they really make you work for it!

I'm really pleased for you and Mr Peggy.

Although I'm not a foster carer, I was myself fostered from 2 years old until adulthood (I guess I still am fostered in a way at age 27?!), so if you ever want a different perspective on things I'd be glad to help, as I had a very happy unbringing with my foster family. :)

All the best with it - I know they really make you work for it!

35642[/snapback]

Thank you chocolate girl,

The most interesting part of the course for me was the video footage of childrens comments and perspectives of what it is or has been like for them in foster care, what they needed emotionally and materialistically. The main message being "don't make assumptions, we are individuals."

We had a school reunion recently and one of the girls told us that she was fostered ( after spending some time in a childrens home- 30 yrs ago).

We weren't aware of this when she was at school but she said she certainly felt "different". She got quite emotional and asked us to promise that we would just "love" the children we will be caring for, that's what they need, which we assured her we will. It was quite emotional but it did remind us that who we are as children and how we see ourselves as children does have a profound effect on us, which continues long into adult life.

Peggy

Great news Peggy, I'm glad for you that things are going well. Keep us posted and dont forget that if even the necessary beaurocracy gets a little too much sometimes we'll understand if you want to let off steam :o . Roll on Christmas. :D:D:D

I'm sure there is Sharon, but I don't think I will have access to a computor or email whilst laying very still and quiet on the beach. :o

Peggy

Dear Peggy,

Serves me right for not checking around the site - ignore my previous message about an up date. Fantastic, sounds as though you are on the home run now - I wish you every luck with it. The couple next door adopted 3 children about 3 years ago and from start to finish it only took six months - can you believe it - it took slightly longer to get the paperwork firmed up but they have 3 lovely children who are now 10, 8, and 6 and everyone is really happy.

Well I expect you are getting very excited about it all - and I can imagine the interviews can be quite tough and soul searching but also probably very worthwhile as you reflect on your life and your ambitions and your motivation. So all I can say is fingers crossed, you will I am sure sail through the last few interviews, have a wonderful holiday, clear out your mess before you get more in!! children do have a habit of bringing more stuff in and look forward to Christmas. Are we wishing our life away??

Are you looking at short term or long term fostering - by the sounds of it long term?

Nikki

Hi Nikki,

We did say short term at the beginning of the process, just because we didn't have enough info etc....Our main aim ( Hubby and I) is to keep sibling groups together and we have learnt that this will most probably mean long term because they are more difficult to get adopted. Although I do know of fostered sibling groups who have been split up where younger ones have been adopted and older ones remain in foster care :oxD

We think this is very sad but understand that sometimes it is for the best for the younger ones, although I cannot see how losing brothers and sisters can be good. Well that is something I may have to deal with in the future, and if I do I know where to come to for support.

Thank you all for your good wishes, I am getting quite excited about the whole new lifestyle we are putting ourselves up for.

Peggy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

latest update, I was going to do this tomorrow but couldn't wait to tell you all that hubby and I are attending the final stage panel meeting tonight. It's an hours drive away at 8pm.

Not sure what to expect, something of an informal interview. Our Form F1 assessment, life story, what we have to offer, how we meet particular knowledge and performance criteria ( similar to NVQ assessment) etc- a years information accumulated into one report, will be discussed and any queries sorted out.

Now, what do we ask the panel???

We shall feed back to them how we feel the process has been, which has overall been a thorough, positive and enlightening experience.

Will let you know how it went tomorrow.

Peggy