Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Artists And Water Theme

Hi, has anyone done art work with nursery children following a painting related to water. Done a google search and not inspired. Also done Monet and water lilies before that worked well.

Oh yes! We had HUGE fun with Hokusai and his Great Wave painting! We did some fabulous whole table paintings using lots of elbow pivot and shoulder movements to create some lovely waves, and then armed with the information about how to create those shapes, children created their own individual, brilliant paintings. They made a great gallery!

o0o0o thanks for posting this. My topic after half term is water and I was looking for ideas for my art sessions. Love the look of that Hokusai print.

There are lots of exciting things you can do with water! Have you tried putting torn up pieces of coloured art tissue onto wet paper and leaving it to dry? You peel the tissue paper off and the colour is left on the paper. Children think it's magic

• Like 1

And there's splitting colours with water, when you draw a line on kitchen or blotting paper with a water based black felt tip, then put the edge of the paper in water and watch it soak up through the paper, through the line, splitting the black ink into its component colours. Very pretty.

And there's splitting colours with water, when you draw a line on kitchen or blotting paper with a water based black felt tip, then put the edge of the paper in water and watch it soak up through the paper, through the line, splitting the black ink into its component colours. Very pretty.

You could do lots of experimenting to see which colours split into which other colours (does that make sense?!) Also how different pens of the same colour respond. I did this in a (grown ups) watercolour class a couple of years ago. Then we used the results to create fab pictures - we drew a picture with the pens and then coloured them in with water. Some pens will leave a line while still spreading the colour around others will just blur the colour. I'm all excited now - might try that at school!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)