Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journals

Hi Everyone

I thought I would start getting the learning journals ready for September using our exisiting format but updating for the new EYFS.

Currently, in our setting each child has a folder with the development matters statements, which the staff tick off / date and write a relating comment / photo/ narrative. But......at the bottom of each page in the new EYFS it says ' they should not be used as a checklist' Do think we would be wrong to do the same again?

The current system has been working for us over the past year well, the staff have got to know the statements well,parents can see what we are talking about and each child has a folder filled with their progress.

Do you think we should just have blank sheets, one for each area and fill comments / photos from there?

We used to include the statements with the Learning Journeys but when the EYFS changed last time they were much more complex and we really felt that what parents wanted to see were all the photos, observations and other comments so now use them as a tracker and keep them in the group. It does mean we can show progress (each term has a different colour) and keep an overview of what all the children are doing. We do show them to parents at our open morning and if they wanted we would give them a copy.

korkycat

Hi diesel10. The revised EYFS is definitely making the point again (it was there previously but now more apparent) that they are not to be used as a checklist and are a general guide to the types of things you might see typically for a child working within each age band. They are meant to be used as a best fit approach, and I think the rethinking of the foundation stage profile to be the same, demonstrates this view well. I think using terms such as 'emerging' or 'secure', still shows progress within and across age bands, but without the minutia if individual statements. By stepping away from the idea of needing to evidence every individual statement and looking at it more holistically, you actually free yourself to consider each child as a unique child with a unique developmental pathway. There is always the temptation when you use individual statements, to think every child must 'achieve' every one, and that isn't uniqueness at all.

Thats the way I see it anyway, and that's the way Ive always seen it, but I also know others would disagree. I know it seems like a challenge but actually when you start thinking about how you might reduce your paperwork, it actually makes more sense. Im not saying its necessarily easy to step away from something you've always done, but now is a very good time to reflect on why you do what you do and, at the end of the day, you need to do what you feel is right, but considering why you think its right or better, is what makes you a reflective practitioner.

• Like 1

Our learning journey books are like a photographic diary really. Well photos and examples of work etc.

I find it difficult to look at what a child is doing and decide which area of learning was the most important so as to decide where to put the photo. Consequently the photogrpahs are put in, in order of how the things happen and relevant comments/ obs added regardless of the area of learning.

When a photo is put in the book it is dated and this date goes on a tracker sheet at the back of the book so that we can see how much evidence we have for each of the learning areas. If the photos absolutely covers more than one area we would use that date in appropriate places.

ie PSRN: I can see how many pieces of evidence for numbers as lables for counting, shape space and measure, calculation.

Hope you get what I mean!!!!

Edited by Scarlettangel
  • Like 1

We do the following - we collect sticky notes, photos, longer observations and these are all kept and numbered.

We then use the development matters statements - each one has 2 blank columns which we then use to put in the number of the photo, note etc.

In these columns we have 3 codes - pj = practitioner judgement, po = practitioner observation (eg a sticky note) and ps = parent has told us the child can do it.

This then allows us to see at a glance where the child is at and what there next steps may be in each area

It works for us and I wont be changing it in September - in fact I have begun using the new system for some of our newer children - arent I naughty!!

Hope that makes sense!!

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)