Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre School Graduation

Im looking for ideas for our graduation in July. We've been doing it for the last 4 years and it has been working really well. But this year there has been so much going on ive hardly had any time to get my team together and gather some ideas. We normally have the children in fancy dress and act out nursery rhymes or sing a couple of special songs. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas to make this graduation the best one yet.

I did have the idea of me reading the childrens favourite book 'Dr Seuss - Green eggs and ham' and having the children join in but that is my only thought.

i would also like to "up the anti" on our graduation service as well, so will follow this thread with interest. Does anyone go the whole hog and use mortar boards? If so, where did you get them?

Look forward to hearing any great ideas that any of you might have,

sorry cant really help we just have a BIG party with lots of fun and time for the parents to tell us lots of lovely things! :wub: I hope! :o bouncy castle and barbeque with a song at the end and a pressie....simples!

(and i have to add eyfs 1966 that i hate those mortar boards and gowns.....sorry! :rolleyes: hides behind laptop!)

• Like 2

The children made their own motor boards last year! - well when I say that the stuck letters and numbers onto black card and then we made a band style hat to stick it to, we took a photo of each child wearing a back to front adult black shirt standing next to their favourite activity - it made a lovely photo for the end of their learning journey and they LOVED the tradition of throwing them in the air!!

we have done everything from drerssing the children up as wizards ( to do with our name!), to buying some High school thingy robes...............but last year we invested in robes for everyone from Marston robing............we'll have to buy a few more this year as we have so many leaving!We do individual photos and a 'class of ' photo with all the leavers together, really lovely.

sorry cant really help we just have a BIG party with lots of fun and time for the parents to tell us lots of lovely things! :wub: I hope! :o bouncy castle and barbeque with a song at the end and a pressie....simples!

(and i have to add eyfs 1966 that i hate those mortar boards and gowns.....sorry! :rolleyes: hides behind laptop!)

I have to say I think I'm with you there Finleysmaid, but have been asked to enquire. Perhaps a token self made effort would feel more "appropriate".

A parent made us some simple over the head robes last year from a black shiny material from the market and she edged it with rainbow ribbon (our logo is a rainbow). Even though we were reluctant to go down the graduation route, the kids loved it and they did look brilliant. I think the rainbow edging made it less formal and more fun. ;)

We have a teddy bears' picnic, where parents are invited to a nice lunch that we prepare, with flowers and tablecloths on the table. We sing a few songs, present children with their learning journeys and a mug, plus various poems. I have hired a projector and screen this year and hope to have lots of photos to remind parents of the lovely things the children have done.

I don't want to be a party pooper, and each to their own, but I am with finleysmaid on this one. I feel uncomfortable about the use of mortar boards and robes in a pre-school ceremony. I feel they should be saved until children are at university otherwise what is there to aspire to. In a way, this could be indicative of the way society may view children as 'human becomings' enroute to adulthood, whereas they are also 'human beings' with childhood being an important stage in its own right and I feel we should be celebrating childhood.

Yes - my current module has made me think, though I have always felt uncomfortable with the idea of mortar boards and gowns in pre-schools, I can now express how I feel and why.

I do of course understand and respect that other people will feel differently.

• Like 2

We just have a great party, lots of fun, lots of games and all children are presented with an inscribed book as a leaving gift. Sorry but for me graduation happens in adulthood on leaving university and I just don't quite get the idea of mortarboards and gowns for 4 yr olds but as someone has already said I respect the views of others and I am sure whatever we all do the children have a great time and that's what it's all about

Each to their own I suppose...........................however, I feel we ARE celebrating something and our little human beings are celebrating the next step as they progress on in life......and we are celebrating giving them the tools to be able to cope with whatever life throws at them.

Ooh Narnia if only!!

Well each to their own, I have to say I'm with others in disliking the whole graduation thing. As a matter of interest what happens to those that aren't leaving? We have 26 going to school this year and 7 children staying- so what would you do for those that aren't 'graduating' ?

A group near us hires one costume and has a photographer in to take each childs photo. We have a 'picnic' and invite parents/carers in to look through the childrens LJ's with them and then have lunch. We also have a bouncy castle in & a sports day. Obviously not all on the same day!! But do try to do something on each day so those that cant attend on our last day get to do something.

That's why we call ours an end of year party, instead of Leavers, our Leavers gifts and journals are presented at our end of term concert which all children can attend including parent/carers, friends and family. We hold a raffle and have refreshments. :)

As a matter of interest what happens to those that aren't leaving? We have 26 going to school this year and 7 children staying- so what would you do for those that aren't 'graduating' ?

After trying different things over the years we now have the leavers party the day after the official last day of term. Term ends for everyone and the next day all the leavers return for the leavers party. We have done it this way for a few years now and it works for us

all the children are invited, we're celebrating, after all............................and we often have an entertainer, and/or a picnic.Every child gets a party bag to go home with and we have the photo frame on the go so everyone can see every child's acheivements

not into grad either as we also have 18 going and 13 staying, we do celebrate though it is, as already said, a great time, they have achieved so much. We have a big party usually teddy bear picnic and l;ots of fun and games

Guest babyjane31

We have a leavers trip the day after the end of term which all leavers and their parents are invited to. We go to a local outdoor centre where all the children get the chance to try out different activities and play and have a big party lunch all together. At the end of the day we do have a very short informal service where all the children are presented with their learning journeys, certificate and leavers gift and I say a few words, we then end the day by singing our goodbye song altogther (well everyone else sings I just cry!!!) Its a fantastic social day and we all love it and so do all the parents, this is funded from fundraising through the year and as its local all parenst just meet us there which helps keep costs down

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)