Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anti Jubilee Parents

Have you considered giving the parent the documentation for her to apply for exemption from any part of the learning and development arrangements on the grounds of religious differences? Then she can make it official - if you agree to the exemption, that is!!

http://media.educati...ual%20child.pdf

didn't know about this exemption, will my Jehovah parents need this for reception as I am sure that there will be more areas of conflict at school? Maybe I can get back into her good books by bringing this document to her notice if so and show that I did take her concerns on board.

You will have put the ball back in her court if you show her the exemptions document, and then she has time to think through how she is going to handle her children's time in the education system. I would not, however, deprive other children of something like a nativity celebration because of their views, if it is a small number of parents in a setting. It is a minefield isn't it and these things tend to be more difficult with parents whose first child is going through the system? With the jubilee, like it or not, this country has a History, it is all around us and it is part of our culture.

Whilst I agree that all FSF children should have a chance to learn about other cultures/religions, as religions have shaped most cultures, it can be very confusing to children if they are celebrating something different every few weeks. Every setting is different, in a multicultural setting the children have a wonderful opportunity to learn with their peers and celebrate their festivals. In a mono-cultural setting it is even more important for children to learn about other cultures as they have no experience to relate to. I wouldn't just pull these celebrations out of a hat though, but use something topical to set their experience into a context to help understanding.

I also think that is is important for the staff to have some basic understanding about the culture/religion. (Advert coming) We have a series of articles on the Forum following festivals throughout the year which some might find very useful ;)

• Like 2

Hi Max , i think you said exactly the right thing , some of my outlaws were |Jehovah Witnesses and 2 of the children were asked to be bridesmaid and page boy at our wedding, i emphasised to the parents that as much as i respected their religion and would not expect the children to sing hymns or partake in prayers ( was a church wedding) i would expect the children to fulfill the role and stand at the front of the church - they did oblige , although the father offered to video our wedding he did not video the actual vows !! never mind marraige only lasted 5 yrs!!

Well I think given that everywhere you turn there is red, white and blue stuff that as practitioners if you don't explain to the children what is happening it would be a bit odd :1b

I can see both sides of the discussion re celebrating events because you do or don't have children in your group to whom the celebrations have significant meaning. In the setting I worked in we would read stories about other celebrations and where possible we would elaborate ie Jewish mummy came in to talk to the children and share stories re Jewish festivals which made them all the more interesting to the children than just reading a story.

The project that we did that made most impact was using resources from Oxfam called Your World, My World find it here

We had the pictures of the different children up and in circle time activities we talked out the similarities in their lives and ours and the differences. We extended this by tasting foods from these places, bits of languages, role play (building an ice igloo like Sasha the little boy from Russia), we had lots of maps with the children's homes marked on them and did lots of stuff on travel...ie how would we get to go see them

We didn't offend any parents as we were just looking at the lifestyles of 4 children from around the world

I will remember the time spread over weeks looking at the lovely photos and using the resources supplied by Oxfam as one of the nicest projects I did with the children.....mind you maybe it was their curiosity about people living 'not in England???' that made it so enjoyable :D

Hi after reading your post Max it remineded me of that a staff member said to me.

" i dont support royality" but while i agree with every thing you said to the parent, playing devils advocote... it isnt a belief that our monach has been in her position for 60 years! its a fact. How many people nowadays can say that?

Isnt that what we want for our children to be flexable learners that can adapt to our ever changing world?? Which is what HRH has done over the past 60 years?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)