Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letter Formation

Anything that works on large body movements into finer motor control around retracing verticals and making anti clockwise movements! I have looked at so many pieces of children's writing whilst moderating and this earlier stage seems to be what gets left out in the rush to have letter shapes!!

Anything that works on large body movements into finer motor control around retracing verticals and making anti clockwise movements! I have looked at so many pieces of children's writing whilst moderating and this earlier stage seems to be what gets left out in the rush to have letter shapes!!

:1b You wouldn't like to pop over and explain that to my parents would you? :blink: :D

• Like 1

absolutely agree!!!! i have worked so hard on this recently (including bying didicars which work on shoulder movements etc) but i have a couple of children who are independently writing and i would like to encourage them to form letters correctly ....just wanted some fun ideas. one of them wrote me a story today about herself and her friend going to the cafe...90 % of this was done using her own phonic knowledge and all of it was done as part of her CI

• Like 1

Then verbalising the movements is a good thing but you would need to know what is the handwriting style you are going to teach them..cursive or not etc etc. There are differences about where they will start the letter. Do you have info from local schools about the schemes they use? Otherwise I used to do lots of PD stuff but focused on the actual letter shapes plus pattern making to develop fluid movements, like zig-zag lines, tall lines short lines, looped lines etc

oh yep i know about the learning styles.....and boy do i ! nearly all of our schools have a different system. We ask on entry which school the children are likely to go to andif we know that they are going in particular direction will try and adopt that style so if i know who is going to a particular private school then i will teach joined up cursive from the beginning etc etc then there is the added complication of european children who are taught upper case first because they are likely to return to their home country in the near future! :P easy system eh!!...i'll ask again at the school to see if there is anything else specific i can do . Thanks.

Then verbalising the movements is a good thing but you would need to know what is the handwriting style you are going to teach them..cursive or not etc etc. There are differences about where they will start the letter. Do you have info from local schools about the schemes they use? Otherwise I used to do lots of PD stuff but focused on the actual letter shapes plus pattern making to develop fluid movements, like zig-zag lines, tall lines short lines, looped lines etc

Hiya, just following your views on letter formation. Yes the style of writing is a real issue. I knew of some children that due to parent pressure were thought a style and when they went to school it was a completely different style. I felt so sorry for the children as in comparison it would be like us learning a new language. I feel that to just to promote the child's passion to create marks is our job and the school can then mould the letter style and formation xxxx interested in your views though :)

oh yep i know about the learning styles.....and boy do i ! nearly all of our schools have a different system. We ask on entry which school the children are likely to go to andif we know that they are going in particular direction will try and adopt that style so if i know who is going to a particular private school then i will teach joined up cursive from the beginning etc etc then there is the added complication of european children who are taught upper case first because they are likely to return to their home country in the near future! :P easy system eh!!...i'll ask again at the school to see if there is anything else specific i can do . Thanks.

My gosh!!! Different letter styles! That must be so difficult to manage. What type of setting are you and how many adults?

My gosh!!! Different letter styles! That must be so difficult to manage. What type of setting are you and how many adults?

pre-school 2-5 yrs 30 children in a session (sessional care) but about 54 children over the week ! we do however run on much better ratios than schools with 1/4 or 1/8 depending on age so there are always 5 of us in a session.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)