Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Leavers Play

ok folks - we have a long break coming up - finish on friday and not back til the 11th of June- then we will have 6 weeks left to organise all learning journeys ( don't ask - still working with four staff and extra key children and lj's that are in need of updating !!!) and the play to start with the leavers, do you base your leavers play on recent theme of learning , i want the children to be involved in the decision as much as possible, how do you decide yours?

Lashes, we are pre-school, and had, for many years performed a leavers play, but when we switched to a much more child centred approach, we decided that the "performance" thing was for adults' benefit, rather than the children, especially when we were stopping the run of their play to come and rehearse, when they would much rather have been left playing outside doing their own thing.

But, what to replace it with! Now we take the leavers out of the setting with parents, and go ten pin bowling and have lunch there afterwards, with little awards for the highest score etc. and the following day we have a short graduation ceremony I know that some pre-schools even hire gowns and hats, but our children decorate a t shirt and I get a logo printed on the back of them, the children come in once all the parents and friends etc. are seated, we hand over their Learning Journeys in specially made bags with a few extra goodies inside and I get to say a few words etc. on the last day we have a right old party for them all, so their final week is all about them - no real stress for the adults.

• Like 1

Have never had a leavers play, theres enough going on this time of year without the stress of a play, and I agree with Panders about the performance aspect and this was one of the reasons we did not do a nativity play this year either. For our leavers we have an after session party without parents with a 'graduation' type ceremony with certificates and a little gift, we all wear our party frocks and have a lovely time dancing and playing games and it gives us an opportunity to say goodbye to each other. Each parent gets a photograph of the staff with their child as a keepsake.

Edited by max321

thanks for the responses - I agree with the parent centred bit and some of ours freaked at nativity drama is my thing although i dont agree with pressure of performing, it should be enjoyable . I know the staff will go mad if i change it though as made changes already and not sure how parents would take it either!!! it would be good to have a change, don't like the gown and hat thing - find that too pretentious - no offence anyone just my opinion.

mmm shall think on it and see what happens at staff meeting ;):o:P

Hi we do plays throughout the year so our children have experiences of these from the very beginning of their time with us. They vary from singing songs, dancing, playing musical instruments, as well as speaking. The children thoroughly enjoy doing them including children with additional needs. The songs are practiced at story and songtime. Music maybe played throughout the session for children to dance etc and only in the last few sessions do we put it all together and the children are amazing. Make it fun and the children do the rest. After our show/concert our Leavers children are presented with their learning journals and a special book and we all sing our Leavers song. We also have a graduation robe and hat and take a photo which is framed and placed in the journal for parent/carers. We have an end of year party to which everyone is invited to. This years ideas are castles, kings and queens and the olympics and sporting heroes .

Last year a parent offered to make gowns and caps and our manager said yes please as she didn't want to offend the parent. All the staff were horrified at the idea but in the event it was lovely.

We started with a big family picnic on the field and then we took the leavers away to change them. The school leavers looked so proud of themselves and they looked very distinct from the kids not leaving.We presented them, one at a time, with gifts and Learning Journeys and each with a certificate with their best talent... politest, class joker, best ideas, best tidy upper etc.

All the parents were thrilled and all the leavers had a big grin all morning (til the end when we all cried! :( )

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)