Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Broken Leg

has anyone had a child with a broken leg before - did you adapt the settling - there needs to be a risk assessement in all areas.

we did at my previous setting twice ! we just adapted and made sure there was one to one supervision , depends on type of break and what doctors have said- one of ours could not walk but was able to pull himself along so had to take into account in case of fire but no specific risk assessment was done .

We got a parent to sign a disclaimer saying she had got permission from her doctor for her child to attend the setting and that she accepted that we weren't responsible for any injury resulting from him attending wearing a plaster cast (wrist not leg)

I had a little boy (many moons ago) start pre-school with a broken leg.......I can remember thinking that this was not going to work well, but mum was fairly 'insistent' and I'm happy to say that she was right - he coped brilliantly! :1b

I do remember that the cast was awfully smelly by the time it was removed :ph34r::D

Some years ago we had a child with brittle bone syndrome, and so he broke a limb several times before he left us. If we had not let him come in with a plaster on, he would have missed soooo much time with us and it would have stopped one of the parents being able to work. they always kept him at home for a week or so as, at the beginning, it would have hurt if it had got bumped. After that he came in and generally chose to crawl around. The other children responded very well and helped him with all sorts of things. An adult did have to help him in the toilet, but obviously we do that for lots of children anyway.