Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stories For The Jubilee

I know I'm probably a bit late off the mark with this but I've not really been that fussed about the jubilee (no offence) and I'm just looking at what I need to plan for placement next week and the week after and realised I need some good picture books to use to introduce the idea of the queen to the children. Help! I can't think of a single picture book which features her/a queen. Can anyone help me compile a list please?

Right behind you Holly - can't seem to drag up the enthusiasm for this but I'm sure once we get going it will be a blast. Will put the thinking cap on about books ;-)

edited typo's!!

Edited by gingerbreadman

Thank you for the suggestions and the comments that make me feel like I'm not the only one with no enthusiasm or forward thinking! I think I've heard of the Queen's Knickers but couldn't remember the title. Sadly I seem to be allergic to Peppa Pig so I'll keep that one in the back of my mind unless I'm desperate!

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Well I must be in a minority then, as we have been looking at castles, famous buildings and monuments in England, building Big Ben and we are finishing it all off with a good old wonderful street party with "come" as princes, princesses, kings and queens or party clothes, food, entertainer, face painting and games. The children have also been singing " God save the Queen" and will be presented with a commemorative mug to keep. Hoping it will be a day for them all to remember.:)

I've not really thought about it yet but maybe Paddington Bear? Doesn't he go to London and live in London... a bit tenuous but its a way in?

Thanks for the suggestions, have bought all of the above books.

How about making a setting scrap book, asking parents to help the children collect snippets of information about the Queen, that can be stuck into a scrap book in the setting and talked about. A good way to get parents and children involved.

Well I must be in a minority then, as we have been looking at castles, famous buildings and monuments in England, building Big Ben and we are finishing it all off with a good old wonderful street party with "come" as princes, princesses, kings and queens or party clothes, food, entertainer, face painting and games. The children have also been singing " God save the Queen" and will be presented with a commemorative mug to keep. Hoping it will be a day for them all to remember.:)

You're not alone Fredbear, we've been exploring castles through stories such as Jack and the Beanstalk, George and The Dragon etc, having images of famous landmarks around the setting too. We will also be having a come as a King or Queen day, making scones, sandwiches and cakes etc and making bunting that sort of thing.

Well we're having a 'Royal Garden Party' (invitation only!!) under our Marquees, and have got bunting, flags, Union Jack paper chains & cake cases and will be having cucumber sandwiches, strawberries & cream & the children are making scones, to serve with clotted cream!! They are also coming in dressed as Kings, Queens, Princes or Princesses that day. We have tried teaching them Rule Britannia and/or National Anthem but haven't got very far as they really need us adults to sing as well and for some reason (inc me!!) most of the staff keep dissolving into giggles when singing either. I cant see us being able to do htis for our parents!! The children are going to make crowns next week, and yes we do have a wet weather plan!! I think it's a wonderful opportunity to really celebrate being British and all the lovely traditions we have in this country- we rarely do this.

Haven't thought about the Olympics yet!!

We too have been making crowns, swords, and we have made a castle in our role play area. Next week we are making bunting and invites to invite parents and children to our street party in our playground. We will be having sandwiches, buns and cake. I have got the union jack paper cups and plates for the tables and will be covering the tables with red,white blue paper. All the children are wearing red,white or blue clothes and all children will receive a bookmark and balloon to take home. think staff are more excited than children!

I am with you Lynned55, lunch time party planned all week leading up to the Jubilee with children bringing in their teddies for lunch. Flags, cakes and bunting to colour as activities.

The Mr Men series have a new book coming out linked to the jubilee http://www.dailymail...eators-son.html

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)