Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cooking Containers

Hello,

My Y1s did some instruction writing last week - they need a wee bit more practice! So, I was thinking of doing some whole class baking this week. In school we have a microwave and a tiny oven in which you can only cook half a dozen fairy cakes at a time. I was therefore thinking of using the microwave except that we don't have any baking 'tins' that I can think of suitable for it.

Do you think that empty (and clean!) containers that you get from a take out meal would work? I know they're dishwasher proof cos it says on the bottom! I have tons saved for something useful. If not do you have any other suggestions?

I'd test it at home except that I don't have a microwave!

I use those containers to freeze portions of food ... useful when I have left over casseroles etc.. then I defrost and reheat in a microwave for a quick meal...

so I do use then to reheat food in a microwave, never tried cooking cake in them though

on other hand this may be the solution...

cake in a mug

I have tried chocolate cake one.. and it works well..

there are other similar recipes out there .. may be worth a search.. just this one had pictures.

There is one on here somewhere but cannot find it.. couldn't come up with the right keywords..

Inge - that's brilliant! I love the fact that the recipe's in spoons - so much easier for my children to do on their own! I've been experimenting recently with leaving the baking ingredients out and a recipe card and letting them get on with it. On this occasion I'm planning to pair up a Y1 and a couple of YR children.

Thank you.

I might experiment myself with cooking in a box at some point, think it would give some good shapes for cake modelling and for sharing activities!

• Like 1

We use the "Bake and Take" recipe for the children at Pre-school.

1 tablespoon self raising flour

1 teaspoon soft margarine

1 teaspoon sugar

few currants, sultanas or choc chips

2 tablespoons milk/egg mixture (use 2 eggs in 1 pint of milk) This has to be added gradually into the mixture.

Each child has a little bowl and a teaspoon to mix with, they help themselves to the ingredients using other size spoons.

The children mix up all the ingredients and spoon it into a baking case (Stick name tag inside each bun). Bake in oven for about 10 mins.

If you use 1 pint of milk this recipe will make about 1-18 buns.

hope this helps - it's something they can do by themselves (with a bit of guidance at times) rather than all mixing in one big bowl.

Sue J

• Like 1

Well here it is... and it tastes ok too - better with some cream or greek yoghurt me thinks :1b Just followed the you tube clip- easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Going back to Helen's posting - I am sure this would work with those small silicone cupcake moulds that louby lou suggested - you can pick those up in poundland. Use the same amount for the cake in a mug and just divide into the moulds... erm can't find how to insert photo? where has the icon gone?

yes those silicone cup cake moulds do work well in microwave, cannot remember the timings though so may take a bit of experimenting to get it right..

they just come out pale which if doing chocolate doesn't really matter..

Just wanted to add - we did this today. My children were so lovely working together, helping each other, really carefully reading instructions, taking turns etc. I didn't want it to overflow too much and when I tried it found it quite tricky to make sure I got all the flour mixed in so... I gave each baking team a bowl or large jug to mix in and we poured a mug about half- 2/3 full. Worked brilliantly although a couple were a little overcooked and somewhat brick like! And the whole class loved having a 'post-PE' treat of a second snacktime with an online signed story!

Thank you again Inge.

• Like 1

so glad it worked... as always a bit hit and miss with children anyway, but they did it..

have also remembered you can cook them in ice cream cones too.. the flat bottomed ones so they stand up in the microwave, half fill is the suggestion , not tried it in microwave but it is supposed to work well..

I have done this in an oven though and decorated them with butter icing like ice creams with sprinkles etc.. they sell really well at events.. and make a good birthday cake . lots together look really good.

ice cream cone cakes

so glad it worked... as always a bit hit and miss with children anyway, but they did it..

Absolutely and a really good reminder that sometimes we just need to trust them - my TA was off sick today so I was on my own the whole day so they really did have minimal support.

As for the ice cream cakes - absolutely love them! Summer fayre cake stall is looking good!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)