Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Leaving Questionnaires For Parents

We already do the annual questionnaire around Nove/Dec time as most of our children start in September.

It has been suggested to me that we should have a questionnaire round about May/June for the parents who are leaving us this summer - does anyone do this? or have an example?

We are in an area that ALL schools have nurseries which take from 3yrs old and 99% of parents take their little 3 year olds to school nursery. Our advisor feels we need to find out why parents do this, and my only thought is via a questionnaire, unless someone can think of another way? When we ask we tend to get the standard answer of "it's easy as my other children are there so it's one drop off"

Golly that's a recurring topic. It's worthwhile doing a forum search as I'm sure there are loads of examples on here. It's one of those queries that seems to crop up annually - and reminds me to get one sorted for this year!

we have one each yea. I am in a nursery class within an infants school. Sorry the questionnaire is on the school's computer but we ask things like - does your child like coming to nursery? do we give you enough information about your child's progress? have you taken part in any of the following events? do you find the newsletter helpful/ if not how can we improve it? and there is an opportunity for them to tell us what we can do to improve the environment/ the curriculum and anything else they feel we need to know

hope that helps?

[]I send out a questionnaire around this time of year to our 'leavers', I've uploaded a copy..... and then once the replies come in I send a letter addressing their responses (which are usually fairly similar!) and covering issues about making sure child can manage to change their uniform, toileting etc. I've attached this too.

attachment=13450:transition response for forum.docx]transitions for forum.docx

transitions for forum.docx

Golly that's a recurring topic. It's worthwhile doing a forum search as I'm sure there are loads of examples on here. It's one of those queries that seems to crop up annually - and reminds me to get one sorted for this year!

Sorry, I have tried to do a forum search, but only come up with the general questionnaires that are sent out during the first few months of a child starting or leaving questionnaires for staff I'm basically after one which is somehow asking the question why school nursery not pre-school but not in such an obvious way that we just just get 'yes/no' answers

[]I send out a questionnaire around this time of year to our 'leavers', I've uploaded a copy..... and then once the replies come in I send a letter addressing their responses (which are usually fairly similar!) and covering issues about making sure child can manage to change their uniform, toileting etc. I've attached this too.

attachment=13450:transition response for forum.docx]transitions for forum.docxMany thanks for your docs MP09 - a totally different slant on how you've done it I will give it some thought.[/i]

Do your parents understand that they dont have to go to the school nursery, that it wont automatically mean a reception place for them, that they work to the same document we do?

One mom I spoke to last year was worried that if she didnt take her daughter to the school nursery she wouldnt be able to write when she started school, the whole thing was making mom really anxious because she wanted to stay with us but felt very torn.

In the end she left, peer pressure on mom won the day and nothing we said helped her to understand.

Have you visited any of the school nurseries to see if they offer anything really obvious to parents? Borrow some ideas on wording, displays, prospectus and good luck :1b :1b

I think it may well be to do with friendships developing at the school nursery; parents might feel that if they keep their child at pre-school and they join the school in reception, it might be tricky for their child to make friends with an already established group. This is a tricky one, isn't it? :huh:

Do your parents understand that they dont have to go to the school nursery, that it wont automatically mean a reception place for them, that they work to the same document we do?

One mom I spoke to last year was worried that if she didnt take her daughter to the school nursery she wouldnt be able to write when she started school, the whole thing was making mom really anxious because she wanted to stay with us but felt very torn.

In the end she left, peer pressure on mom won the day and nothing we said helped her to understand.

Have you visited any of the school nurseries to see if they offer anything really obvious to parents? Borrow some ideas on wording, displays, prospectus and good luck :1b :1b

I think it may well be to do with friendships developing at the school nursery; parents might feel that if they keep their child at pre-school and they join the school in reception, it might be tricky for their child to make friends with an already established group. This is a tricky one, isn't it? :huh:

Yes, I agree with both of these statements, I always say it takes a strong person to break away from the crowd

Here's a few I've found on the laptop, I hope something will be of help

Thanks Cait I will take a look

At the end of the day it is parental choice and if you already have a child at school then i do understand it makes life easier with one drop off in a morning, we probably won't come up with any answers to the problem, but my advisor thinks it's a good idea, hey ho ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)