Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Blagging!

finleysmaid

I have had lots of discussions recently about getting things for free (the budget is tight!)...we have a carpet shop around the corner so i've blagged some carpet rolls, guttering from a friend of a friend,wooden pallet (fitted with feet and a top) from a neighbour, lovely twisted wood pieces from over the fence....oh and i've just seen two bird feeders which someone has put near a skip (oh i love skip diving ;) )

so was just wondering ....

what have you managed to blag recently????? anything good?? B)

from skips - 3 milk crates, 1 wheelbarrow, 1 high viz jacket (still in packet!), various lengths of guttering, plant pots, baking trays and pots (for mud kitchen) and a electric massager (for me) just needed a new fuse! Tom Daly eat your heart out -skip diving should be an Olympic sport! Happy Holidays all :D

Nothing, I havent got time to ask and I dont go in often enough to know what they might need. But we've just had a tax rebate of £2600 and we're having our garden done for free.

We used to blag a lot but that was in the days of playgroup (not pre-school), social services and biscuits and squash for snack.

Edited to say, I think taking from skips is illegal, its kind of like theft

Re-edited to say, I googled, I dont thinks its theft afterall, but I'm sure I heard somewhere it was.

One man's meat is another mans poison :D

Edited by Rea
  • Like 1

i promise i am a good girl rea and i always ask if possible...never been refused yet...but as i always say if you dont ask you dont get and there are only 2 possible answers. This week we have had trees cut down next to the pre-school they have chopped off some large trunks for me, 2 huge rings (table size) and are just sorting out some nine foot straight lengths for me to make teepees.....all for the cost of a few cups of tea ;)

I don't think this is blagging - it's the skill of the EYFS professional in loooking, listening and noting the opportunity to progress learning and using your langauge for communication (persuasion element) to achieve a desired outcome.

Did I read that in the new framework somewhere................................................

• Like 6

I agree, if I saw something in a skip and thought it was worth nabbing, I'd have it ! But yesterday, lovely chaps were cutting down a tree near our group, so I asked nicely and they delivered, free of charge, 12 great big lumps of wood, nicely levelled too, for the children to use as big stepping stones, or for story time outside, or anything else that strikes us. They also cut me a big pile of thin tree rings, so we can use them as plates in our new wooden playhouse, or again, anything that takes their fancy. Yesterday was a good day for asking, our local co-op store gave us some crates.

I don't think this is blagging - it's the skill of the EYFS professional in loooking, listening and noting the opportunity to progress learning and using your langauge for communication (persuasion element) to achieve a desired outcome.

Did I read that in the new framework somewhere................................................

have to say catma in our recent (outstanding!!) ofsted inspection we were complimented on our recyclying/reusing/repurposing....for me if i want to buy beautiful wooden toys and willow arches it is a must . Also i do think it shows the children (and their parents) that money is not needed to have fun and create fantastic play opportunites.....give me a cardboard box any day! :rolleyes:

Today, after training at the EY Centre we went 'skip diving' and I came away with a pile of books - mainly senior school stuff, but some science books relevant to my older minded children and my own boys. A pile of senior maths books which I might need if I continue on to do another degree. And some great clipboards for the role play area.

Also discovered today that, instead of paying £25 a year membership to the 'found objects' recycling centre, we can use the Children's Centre number! Great fun to be had there!!

Honey

just to clarify - as long as you ask first you can take from a skip - or just be a quick runner :P

I have just asked parent who is tree surgeon for logs for insects home and some to sit on for outside area, on committee for local legion so old guttering coming from there, people always offer me items and i don't usually say no , i love recycling and freecycle is great way to find and get rid of stuff too