Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Snack Time

Does anyone have an example of planning of learning opportunities at snack time. I have been asked to include this in our planning but it is generally one of those things that we do but we don't record, if you see what I mean.

We use our snack time as "snack & chat" and following an audit on phonic we are now using this time to deliver SG phonic work. We have printed some card with prompts for the adults who are sitting at the table.....every day there is a different focus (as in the phase 1 phonics) ,,we havent yet evaluated how it is working but the children seem to like it. I'm not sure how this would work though with the rolling snack bar.

We give opportunities for the children to count how many chairs are needed for the number of children. They give out the plates and then another child gives out the colour matched cups. The children are able to pour their own drinks, help themselves to the snack placed on the table, pass the bowls round to others, and spread butter, cream cheese etc on their bread, toast, crackers etc. We don't add this to planning though, it's just what we do.

Rachel

melba i think this is a bit of a tricky one when i don't know your setting or how you do snacks...from my point of view we do masses of maths with snacks

prediction....how many do you think?

calculating....how many do you need/

count by rote

count by object

match by colour

addition and subtraction.

Then we have labels which need to be 'read' and allocated to cups

hygiene and health and safety

self confidence and knowledge/ acceptance of rules!

cooperation/sharing/turn taking

measurement (half cup etc)

healthy eating/self care etc etc these can all be easily linked with the eyfs development statements.

Snack time with us is often used as a way of getting children interested in calculating which we find can sometimes be difficult to encourage in child led play.

• Like 1

look at your routine, write it all down, from hand washing, to leaving the table, break it down and then look at and list what can be learnt from each stage...

we weill all be different but this will focus you into what could be learnt during this time.. we had one for all sorts of incidental things that we did during the day, self registration , story time, anything we did daily we found learning in..

We make snack a conversation time, everything else is kind of mentally noted, we have helpers etc.

But we have general good conversations its excellent time for doing this and so important - sorry dont know what i have done to make print bold??

at our setting the staff were working with an evaluation document for snack, which included health rating , what staff comments were and childrens s comments but it had become another tireless chore of paperwork and was not being used effectively so we have done away with it and encourage the children to tally mark their favourite fruit ( we do a selection each day now ) we are going to make a snack board with pictures and smiley faces as this will encourage more involvement and easier to evaluate.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)