Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Attending 2 Settings

We have one of our children who will be eligible for funding at the start of the autumn term. Her parents have decided to keep her with us

for 2 sessions and send her to the setting local to the school she will attend for the other 3 sessions.

What will I need to do in order to make the link between the 2 settings?

Do I need to do a transistion summary before she moves?

Am I right in thinking she will have 2 learning journey's, trackers, 2 lots of progress summaries etc? or do we get together to do them?

Should I invite them to visit her in our setting during the summer term?

This is all very knew to me and I am a bit confused???

Help please

Hi we have lots of children who do two settings (preschools) and so have two learning journeys and transition documents.

personally, I think its good practice to make contact with the other setting and for key workers to meet. Its useful to discuss basic information or concerns. I always keep a written record of any 'meeting'. OFSTED liked this partnership with local settings too!!

Obviously worth mentioning to the parents you are planning a visit or inviting them to you...sure they will love it you are making the effort to get to know the other setting :1b !

It's been suggested to us that we share (obviously with parents' permission) the half termly summaries with the other setting. Must admit, under the old manager it wasn't something she promoted, so it's just another thing to add to our increasingly long list of things to change ;-)

I'd invite them to visit her in your setting as we'll invite the next settings for all our children, and when they visit explain that this is your first dual setting child, this is what you're planning to do, how do they share information about the children with dual settings already (they may not have any or be like a school nursery I know who don't share info, letting you set the precedent of good practice :-) ).

Also, while I'm thinking about it, it could be worth setting up a system of sharing information with the other setting eg chicken pox notices...

we have children who attend dual settings and we liaise by sending each other copies of any summaries/reports but also use a more informal 'link book' which we send back and forth between the settings with the child. Their keyworkers in each setting write comment/ add photos of what the child is doing or interested in and we are able to use this to talk with the child positively about their experience in each environment.

PS OFSTED loved our link books

Edited by max321

we have children who attend dual settings and we liaise by sending each other copies of any summaries/reports but also use a more informal 'link book' which we send back and forth between the settings with the child. Their keyworkers in each setting write comment/ add photos of what the child is doing or interested in and we are able to use this to talk with the child positively about their experience in each environment.

PS OFSTED loved our link books

I'm not surprised,they sound great! We've got a couple of children who do the beginning of the week in 1 setting and the end in the other, & I can see they'd work really well there, as each setting will have time to write the comments & stick pictures in. We've others who do all ams in 1 setting and all pms in the other, & I can see it could get tricky to make sure there's time to write each day - do you have any that do that & how do you manage it? Do you write every day, or 2 or 3 times a week?

We keep them very flexible, I don't want to put my staff or those in the other settings under pressure. i think it would work for your children who attend 2 sessions during the day as we don't write every day. Sometimes we write every week, sometimes it is a couple of weeks in between (it is of course all subject to the child/parent remembering to pass the book on) but it is a lovely thing to share with the child how ever ever often it is added to

• 1 month later...

Do we have to get parents permission before contacting another setting?

We sent letters out regarding changes to session times in september and one parent has just told us that her daughter attends another playgroup on the days

she isn't with us, which we didn't know about (she has been with us since January)?

Any advice?

We have notebooks called KEYPIES key person information exchange, which are shared with children's other settings. Ofsted liked them, and I also showed a letter to another preschool asking for info exchanges, but which was snubbed. I've uploaded the KEYPIES

Information labels on here somewhere if you are interested.

As regards suddenly finding out about a child attending another setting too, yes, this happens every now and then, and it's annoying, sometimes parents don't want us to know in case we think they are disloyal

• Like 1

Hi Kic106 a fellow countryman...the first i've met since joining the forum!!........back to the point....I'm sure you do need permission from parents re contacting another setting. We include this in our induction meeting with parents, with a slip they sign to give permission to contact and share information and this is kept within their Learning Journeys......to remind us to share! :)

• Like 1

We have notebooks called KEYPIES key person information exchange, which are shared with children's other settings. Ofsted liked them, and I also showed a letter to another preschool asking for info exchanges, but which was snubbed. I've uploaded the KEYPIES

Information labels on here somewhere if you are interested.

As regards suddenly finding out about a child attending another setting too, yes, this happens every now and then, and it's annoying, sometimes parents don't want us to know in case we think they are disloyal

HI Cait

Any idea where I might find the KEYPIES information labels? I did a quick search but couldn't find them.

Thanks