Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed Re: Planning

Hi all, hope you're well.

I've got myself very confused and am hoping someone can help.

I'm very new to childminding and have recently taken on a 14mth old. The problem is, I have no idea where to start with planning and what I need to document or how to document it.

How and where do you all document your planning and observations?

The whole EYFS is still very new and I feel totally overwhelmed by it all to be honest....

If any of you can help with any examples of planning or any advice I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you all in advance!

to start just observe your little one and see where their intersts lie and what they like to do - then look at your eyfs and look at whith what your child is doing where they are - from there you will be able to look at where to take them next... and try to do that around thier interests eg cars, dinosaurs, telly character etc - i have a very simple observation sheet i use with my childminders but am not at work till monday to send to you - just remind me on Monday ;)

Thanks hali. You make it sound so simple! lol! I think I've got myself all worked up. I'll message you Monday.

Thank you again for replying

xxx

Ever since I started using PRAMS (available from this forum) I began to understand the purpose and practice of making observations. PRAMS produces reports which help me to know what else to observe and gives me a simple place to write my observations up. I am truly dreadful at filing and this keeps me straight. If you are in any way technically inclined, I would thoroughly recommend it.

Best of luck with which ever method you choose.

Honey

Hi

There are a couple of articles re assessment/observation that you can find from the front page here

If you have a little time do look through the articles as there are several different pieces that might give you some help. There are topic support activities that have plans linked to the areas of the EYFS ...... just post in this thread if you can't find them but start here and here

There are also various planning documents in the resource library that you could have a look at and see if they are adaptable for you here

And PRAMS may be helpful to you as a place to be able to tie it all together.....you can find it here

Good luck with it all :D

Thank you Sue! Reading through all those articles has given me some ideas for activities.

Just got to get my head around relating them to the age groups I work with!

Will also check out PRAMS - looks good!

xxx

• 9 months later...

Hi, an old discussion but hopefully someone will respond.

I am a recently registered childminder, with 15 years teaching experience in reception and nursery. So planning should be a breeze? However, I am now looking after children who are 18 months max, and all my lovely ideas don't work! How do I plan adult led activities for this age group? I can think on my feet, and adapst equipment etc during the day, but can't plan in advance. Hate "plannibng" after the event.

Hi littlehandschildminding

Welcome to the forum and congrats on making your first post.

I am sure so far more experienced folk will be along soon to answer your question but just for reference here are a few other areas on the forum that might offer some good starting points that you can adapt for your littlies :D

FSF articles - Activity Support - have a look through some of the older articles for ideas

Birth To Three Matters - Back To Basics This original information from the Dof E has some planning suggestions included that may help

Birth to Three Forum area In this forum area you will find some conversations about planning for under 2's

Hope some of these offer some help

Sue

Admin team

• 9 months later...

Thinking about using prams to cover my observations, is it in a style that can also be printed off so that I can have a hard copy too?? Not brilliant on computers but trying to make my paperwork work load easier. Also can prams be operated using an I pad??

Thank you

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)