Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interviewing; Anyone Got A Fabulous Question?

Guest Spiral

Guest Spiral

Hi there,

I'm interviewing applicants for new staff in two weeks time.

As always, I would like a staff member to fit in with the team and to want to stay with us as part of the furniture, however, I am very aware that we have a high level of people who are desperate for a job and anything will do, or who wish to get a job with more hours, but feel that we will suffice.

Many Uni students have applied all stating that they really want a career in early years (their choice of study area does not reflect this), so I have had to be firm already.

I was just wondering whether anyone has a question that provokes thought and could gain an interesting response from applicants, helping me to narrow down those who really want this to be a permanent position?

Thank you,

Spiral :-)

one of the questions we always ask is about open door policy - what do they know about this and how can we promote childrens learning outside? the majority we found didnt know about or understand what the open door policy was / meant and just spoke about growing flowers etc - we wanted them to talk about taking the inside outside and using the outdoors as a great resource for all areas of learning eg counting / sorting leaves , shapes in the environment, acting out stories like bear hunt, drawing etc etc.,

now to me an open door policy would be to allow visitors and parents at any time and be able to spend time with them as they needed it.. not needing appointments but being very open and ready to help when needed..

freeflow would be the indoors outdoors..

• Like 1

The last time we had to interview, those who answered as we would expect, were invited back to read a story of their choosing to a small group of children. That showed better who we should offer the job to.

The questions that gave the greatest problem to the interviewee related to equality and what experience have you got with young children. I actually wondered why at least two of the applicants came.

I like Reas idea/plan - those who are on the short list ask to plan and do an activity with xx number of children..

will depend on the level recruiting, could ask for areas covered form eyfs etc..

now to me an open door policy would be to allow visitors and parents at any time and be able to spend time with them as they needed it.. not needing appointments but being very open and ready to help when needed..

freeflow would be the indoors outdoors..

Thats what I would intreprete by this too.

well listening to Chris Evans yesterday on the radio apparently a very common interview question of the moment is....wait for it....if you were a biscuit what sort of biscuit would you be and why?......

Apparently it comes at the interviewee form left field and they have to react to quite a random question and that is suppose to tell you lots about them.....

As for me.....custard cream....firm on the outside and soft and sweet in the middle xD

• Like 1

my favourites are the old classics...

What do you know about us (i.e. have they done some research)

and

Why do you want to work here (as opposed to somewhere else!!) the answers i have got from these over the years have been interesting...like Oh your the closest to my home....and because i didn't get the job i wanted!!)

i ask you :blink:

Guest Spiral

Goodness me, I'd be stumped if I were to be asked what type of biscuit as there isn't one I don't like).

I've got some favourites such as ;

"what do you think safeguarding is?"

"if a child hit you, how would you react?"

Thank you for all of your suggestions. Any more suggestions I'd be more than happy to recieve,

Spiral:-)

I'm always a bit wary of questions like that, when I've been asked those questions I always feel my answer is either too text book or too vague because I dont want to be text book. The last interview I had asked me to give a 5 minute presentation on inclusion, maybe something along those lines might help in your search.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)