Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Music In Pre-school

Hi

All our children really enjoy singing and dancing inside and outside. Myself and my other member of staff are not very musical.

Has anyone got any ideas how we can develop this further instead of just putting music on and letting them dance. We do singing at the end of the session but again we are not terribly good at singing!

Any ideas for indoors and outdoors would be fantastic! We just want to develop it as there is so much they could learn from it.

We have the same thing and we bought a 2nd hand karaoke machine this week and the children LOVE it! we also use different tubes etc outside for them to sing in to to explore different ways of making sounds. We're in the process of building a mini stage for them to do their dances and plays on for an audience as well :)

you don't have to be good at singing or musical to enjoy music withthe children- simple music - rythmn making - get each child to clap name and say at same time - count claps to syallables- extend with introducing an instrument - and repeat claps- use tins as drums - add differnet things to change sound - pasta, shells etc - get them to get faster and slower softer and louder - i have a great book -teaching foundation music by Ann bryant comes with a cd too - i just adapt to suit and its for everyone .

I always add a little drama when i can - dependin on the topic or following with what the children like- we also make up lots of silly songs too - I love singing and music but everyone can do it - just go for it and gadd a little structure where you can as they do benefit more than just making noise for the sake of it - good luck and have fun :o

also log on to freemusic.org

Music and movement stuff is fun.....floaty scarves and floaty music.....matching movements to type of music ie jumpy, slithery, spiky. wobbly

Just different types of music played in the background

I taught some children a simple line dance once to some country & western....good language there....one step forward and clap hands and one step back etc.....was hysterically funny watching all the children (and my colleagues) going backwards and forwards and turning the wrong way etc

Have fun

We have managed to find some funds to get an external practitioner in once a week. Its just great. Because its a long term thing we can really see how the children have become really confident in the sessions. Also she does CPD for us so we are learnign the whys and wherefores -there's so much more to know than I thought. We've organised this through soundwave - think you'll find it online, and they're offering a huge subsidy - maybe worth checking out.

Guest pamgreen

A really good book is High Low Dolly pepper it is really helpful for non music people but excellent and fits in with letters and sounds

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)