Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

One Of 'those' Days

I have spent this evening trying to analyse why tuesdays are such a difficult day at my setting and have not come up with an answer. The children today are all children who happily attend other days and the staff are the same mix so why do we all leave on a tuesday with headaches and sighs of exasperation. Does anyone else have one day a week where it just all seems to go wrong?

our day is tuesday too!! i know it is the mix of children we have in on that day(it's worse in the morning)..out fo 30 we have 3 2year olds....all of which are funded (so in this borough that means there is a reason for them to be with us IYKWIM) one of them has sen needs which are yet to be identified and the other two are little bombs!...we only have 5 staff in 2 in 2 out one float. It's hard work and feels like we are constantly chashing our tails...especially when you are trying to make and cook 30 pancakes too :o

Tuesday for my setting too! We have a group of boys aged 3-4 who no matter how we try to get them involved in activities they just want to fight with each other, throw toys or break the toys in the setting. We get them outside as soon as possible in the session so they can let off steam outside. But I have now got wise and due to an increase in our numbers we can afford another member of staff which free me up for more office time and guess which day I choose to spend the whole day apart from lunch club in my office. :o

Just applied for early years action plus funding for 4 children which will hopefully fund another member of staff for tuesdays, maybe that will help but 6 members of staff for 18 children seems ridiculous but we cannot continue as we are. Today was amazing though so I know that its not the environment or staff or resources. Just can't put my finger on what the problem is.

I have spent this evening trying to analyse why tuesdays are such a difficult day at my setting and have not come up with an answer. The children today are all children who happily attend other days and the staff are the same mix so why do we all leave on a tuesday with headaches and sighs of exasperation. Does anyone else have one day a week where it just all seems to go wrong?

Together with your latest post as well, it would appear that Tuesdays you have the same children, staff and resources as any other day of the week, but something happens on a Tuesday which makes it a difficult day.

Might it be that one or two of the children you are applying for funding for have a different routine at home on Tuesday mornings before they get to you, or different food for breakfast which makes them out of sorts, it's hard to tell with so many variables what could cause one particular session to go pear shaped.

So far this year we have had no troubles, but last year Fridays mix of children was not a good mix, but they seem to have settled down now. We are boy heavy at the moment and many of them were turning 4, a significant arrival of hormones to the 4 year old boys seems to change them overnight! I assume they have all settled down for a while, we will make the most of it while we can before the next batch of birthdays.

We are very boy heavy in general but certainly on tuesdays and we have a dynamic mix of 4 SEN, 1 profoundly deaf EAL, 1 physical/communication disability, 4 2year funded children, 1 'gang' of 4 4year old superheroes, 1 biter, plus 3 standard variety children so I know we have a lot on our plate but these children are in other days but not necessarily in the same mix but I can't work out who or what the catalyst is as we also have this kind of combo the rest of the week.

I suspect there is a catalyst on a Tuesday then as it isn't the exactly the same mix of children on that day as the rest of the week. I suppose there's little chance of anyone being supernumary for a short while during the morning just to get an overview of what's happening in general? Might provide some answers.