Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Smoking Policy

Devondaisy

I was wondering if people could share their views on staff smoking with me please.

We have a policy which states that staff are not allowed to take cigarette breaks, which I'm fine with, but I have a member of staff who goes outside 'for some fresh air' at lunchtime when she is working a full day. She is entitled to a break at lunchtime anyway. I have always been fine with this, as she is careful not to be seen by any staff or parents, and doesn't smell of smoke when she come back in. However, another staff member is concerned about this (the two staff members do not get on very well which may have something to do with this) so I've e-mailed my committee chair who says that in her opinion staff should not be smoking when in uniform (as they are representing the pre-school when wearing our uniform), or anywhere within sight of pre-school, and they must take steps to eradicate any traces of the smell. Asking her to get changed before going out at lunchtime, and to go somewhere out of sight of the building, as we are in a big field, is going to be tricky I think.

Just wondered how others feel about this.

Our policy is that no-one smokes on the preschool site, or the school site that we're on. Old manager let staff go off site (but in sight of school/preschool) on lunch break for a cigarette, they go off en masse...

I'm going to be unpopular after staff meeting this week as I'm going to tell them they need to cover their uniform & go for a walk down the road together than standing at the corner all the parents have to come past on their way into preschool for the afternoon session, & get back in time to help set up for the afternoon session.

Unfortunately, out of 8 staff in post, there are 5 smokers...

How about getting them together as a support group for each other to quit! Gets lots of information on it beforehand from your GP or NHS, say what you have to say about wanting them to smoke away from your setting and then suggest them all packing in together and an incentive scheme if they try of some sort.

We had a do out with some of our parents a while back and I was appalled at how many of them smoke! Even if it is only on nights out that they do it!

I am an ex-smoker - but not an evangelical one, it's not easy, there are times even after 15 years i feel could quite easily have one but I just wouldn't anymore.

How about getting them together as a support group for each other to quit! Gets lots of information on it beforehand from your GP or NHS, say what you have to say about wanting them to smoke away from your setting and then suggest them all packing in together and an incentive scheme if they try of some sort.

We had a do out with some of our parents a while back and I was appalled at how many of them smoke! Even if it is only on nights out that they do it!

I am an ex-smoker - but not an evangelical one, it's not easy, there are times even after 15 years i feel could quite easily have one but I just wouldn't anymore.

I love the idea, but think I won't suggest it this week as I'm making lots of changes since being appointed manager just before half term, and don't want to tell them too many 'I don't like what you're doing so stop/change it' things ;-) I'll keep that one till the summer term! A lot of our parents smoke too and we need to be setting an example of not smoking.

We have also had this problem. It has taken time but gradually we have now got to the point were the smoking staff accept that they can only smoke during their lunch break and that this must either not be in uniform or out of sight of all families, children and general members of the public. This now forms part of their Code of Conduct which has been added to their contracts of employment.

We do have the benefit of gradually reducing the ratio of smokers to non so they are out numbered plus the focus and commitment of my team has a whole has moved towards a more professional one.

Tis a toughy!! Good Luck

personally don't believe that anyone who smokes should be allowed to during working hours especially when working with children or nursing, i find it awful when a child comes in smelling of smoke and staff changing uniform, wearing coat etc does not eradicate from hair ! smoking outside actually enhances the smell on your clothes and do they all brush teeth after?? sorry but i was a smoker and noone I worked with realised I was - maybe i was strong willed enough to go without during working hours and I never showered or dressed in uniform until after my morning fix- i smoked outdoors also never at home.

Having now given up and yes we are the worst (us ex smokers) I realise what my children and others had to go through and just how awful i smelt ,

great idea to get a group to try and give each other support in giving up .

• 2 weeks later...

When I spoke to the stop smoking team at NHS they advised me that the chemicals in smoke remain on the clothing for over an hour after smoking and constitutes passive smoking and can be harmful to babies. It increases the carbon monoxide in the air and reduces the oxegen levels, think i got that right.

But they suggested that anyone working with under 5's should not smoke whilst in uniform or during working hours and if they do they should smoke at the beginning of the lunch hour out of uniform.

Very difficult to police but if a member of staff returns smelling of cigarettes what do you do to enforce or overcome ? Do you send home unpaid or give a verbal warning ?

As a smoker, being told I cant have a cigarette makes me grouchy and irritable. Do you want a work force like that?

I would never stop someone smoking if thats what they want to do. I ask that our only smoker goes out of sight of the pre-school so the children cant see and thats it although now I've read your comment brownlohorses, I'll ask that she covers her uniform or removes it first. Hello and welcome too :D ::1a

Very difficult to police but if a member of staff returns smelling of cigarettes what do you do to enforce or overcome ? Do you send home unpaid or give a verbal warning ?

Make sure they do a stint outside and don't get toooooo close to the children might be an easier way to deal with it, if you send them home then your ratios will drop unless you can find a replacement at short notice and remind them of the reasons why they shouldn't be smoking while working with children :1b

Oh gosh a real tricky one. Firstly Iam a smoker :o !!!! However I do not smoke during working hours 8.30 - 3pm and would not smoke in my uniform. We have one other member of staff who smokes and she behaves exactly the same as myself. We recently took on a voluntary member of staff who smoked but made sure that we told her during her induction that it was not acceptable to smoke during her working day and she must not allow children to see her smoke on entering or leaving the pre-school. Again we re-iterated that she must do her level best to not smell of cigarrettes, it was very tricky as she was a volunteer and I did feel mean spouting all these laws at her but she did accept that if she wanted to volunteer with us then she would have to abide by all our policies and procedures.

Debster

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)