Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Home/playgroup Diaries

One of our parents has commented that when her older son was at playgroup they kept individual diaries for all the children which paretns and staff could write any comments or reminders in or stick photos in etc.

We are only open for 3 hours per day. Does anyone else do these and do you find them easy to manage and are they useful?

Also, do you write something in each day or once a week or just when there is something to write?

We love our home /school diaries, we send them home every week with a short written note on things like wow moments, conversations, a new experience or a developmental acheivement. Parents then tell us their news and return them to a box in the foyer, they use them to tell us what they have been doing at home or to ask questions or to tell us about things like holidays. We find them a lovely informal way of communicating and are especially useful for those parents who we do not see each session. In truth, not all our parents use them but those that do have a lovely record of their time with us when their child leaves. We don't put photos in, those go in their learning journeys but there is no reason why you could not include them if you wished

We put little photos in them too and children sometimes dictate for us to scribe. Stickers can go in there and sometimes parents stick things like train tickets etc. It's a mini learning story in itself, but a more portable one. Yes, some parents don't use them other than to read our bits, but that's their choice. We often use the information from parents to help with next steps or learning developments

We are a preschool setting and also use home/school diaries. We inttroduced them following a parent questionaire in which some I might add not all requested more than a once a term keyworker meeting!!!!. obviously told them not possible so introduced these. It works well the key person writes in the books on the child's last day of the week , just a few lines about achievements and things the child has shared with us. they then go home and our parents sign to say they have read the comment and most also put comments in themselves about outings and events or achievments at home and progress on toilet training ect, we then tlak to the child aobut this and reward wwith stickers and certificates etc.

We are working with these as like many others we are limited on time, personally I love them and it works for my key children ,(this year) but my staff don't all get the same response from their children and parents.

We don't write everyday as I feel that often the time goes so quickly and i don't feel they are a priortity. However the children love sharing them and we get an insight to their life outside pre-school. We work with them alongside their Learning Journals and when the books are full they go into their journal so they are treasured. If I am honest I do bring mine home as a manager I don't have time to write/sticvk etc during the session.

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)