Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Isle Of Man

JacquieL

Cut backs have led the Isle of Man Government to the decision to close all their maintained pre-schools loosing 500 places and 20 jobs. They have never had universal funded places as we do in the UK. They will be providing vouchers for families on very low incomes to be able to buy a 2.5 place in a PVI setting, but otherwise parents will have to pay if they wish for a pre-school place in a PVI setting.

Lots of sympathy from me if you are a member from the IOM working in a maintained setting. :o

Oh, that's awful for the staff, children and parents :-( It looks like the equivalent of nursery classes are what's going? But I'm guessing that the preschools are not going to have the physical room to take on 500 extra children even if they can take on the staff that will be jobless.

Birmingham closed all their community day nurseries last year, staff were redeployed throughout the CCs but I cant see how they will have found jobs for everyone. Lots of families will have been affected, they were usually in deprived areas and at least two I worked at were the only provision in the area.

It annoys me because the council still put 100s of planters and hanging baskets around the city throughout the year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)