Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Houses And Homes / Where We Live Topic

Hi everyone,

I have to bring my ideas to a planning meeting tomorrow about the topic for next half term which is going to be called either Houses and Homes or Where We Live. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about any good books or interesting role play areas (already had a home corner) that I could use? I feel stumped for ideas!

It can be quite a broad topic so I was thinking of beginning to look at where the children live then looking at the rest of England (including animal homes) and then maybe looking at the rest of the world?

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

x

Hi I loved looking at homes both here and around the world with the children, after a child's interest of Legoland. We made a huge house made out of junk modelling boxes and masking tape, then the children made roof tiles, window and doors. We made different buildings with construction materials, explored clay to make models of homes. We then looked at homes that animals lived in and den making.Could you also tell the story of the three little pigs using straw, sticks and bricks. Oh just remembered we made our role play into a building site with foam bricks, hammers, spirit levels, tape measures, saws, drills, diy posters, leaflets, estate agent brochures, graph paper etc.

Hi I'm am too going to be doing homes topic after the holidays. We link it to bob the builder and when we do where we live we link it to lazy town. We did it last year and the kids loved it. I'll be making my roleplay area in nova workshop in.the hols and we do ssm in maths 3d shapes problem solving to find out which shapes are best for bob to build a house with. Various other activities. If u would like copy iv planning let me know.

When we covered this 1 activity we done was a large map of our town then the children made houses which we put on the map with a photo of them in the house, children really enjoyed the activity and received good feedback from parents!

Kris

probably bit late but why don't you ask the children what they know about houses and this will lead to ispecific interests and you can plan from that

Hi I'm am too going to be doing homes topic after the holidays. We link it to bob the builder and when we do where we live we link it to lazy town. We did it last year and the kids loved it. I'll be making my roleplay area in nova workshop in.the hols and we do ssm in maths 3d shapes problem solving to find out which shapes are best for bob to build a house with. Various other activities. If u would like copy iv planning let me know.

hi, i have just started this topic.. and at a bit of a loss. I have turnes role play area into a builders yard and they have made junk models of their own homes. Any other ideas... i have also read the three

pigs!

• 1 month later...

Some great ideas in this thread.........I'm not really into 'topics' as such but we have lots of 'budding builders (role play) and several children who currently have builders working on their homes so think I must extend/build on their interests.......anyone else have any brilliant ideas? :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)