Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Family Diversity

Have you thought about making your own posters with the children? We try and do this as you can generally find some good pictures from magazines, tv listings and especially some of the Sunday supplements.

The good thing about doing it this way (and I usually sort a good selection to start with) is that you can actually talk about the pictures as you make it - and the children have ownership of the poster........meaning that take more time looking at it.

xxxx

We have few books with same sex parents and the children's favourite is Spacegirl Pukes - they love being sick along with Spacegirl!

I like the rhyming & fun text of One Dad, Two Dads, Brown Dad, Blue Dad although it works better in my setting as a small group book than one for a large group story session, largely I think because of the diversity of languages that mean that the children have to think hard about the language of the story.

I'm not a huge fan of Molly's Family, because the text is too much for my preschoolers (especially as I have about 50% with English as their 2nd Language); because it is American with the unfamiliar concepts of Kindergarten and Open School Night which need explaining to the children and thus take away from the story & message; and because Molly gets upset. It's a beautiful book which I'd enjoy sharing with my 8 year old, but for me it's not an early years book.

Amazing Grace I love the strength of Grace and her family. Ma and Nana believe that Grace can do anything she puts her mind to.