Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Time Sheets

Hi all,

Just sat here mulling over, how we currently monitor staff attendance and hours actually worked.. like you do on a cold winters eve :o

How do you all do this, we currently fill in a time sheet, with hours worked for the day/week.. but i'm finding some staff are failing to fill them in regualry and they do it and the end of the week..and then from memory!

I fill in the time they come in and leave in the register.. so know who is in the building at what times.. etc

Was looking at viking magazine and they had a clocking in machine on offer which made me think that maybe this would be a better system.

We are a pre-school in our own building..

What do you all do???

I use a day per view diary and staff write time in and time out. As its kept in the staff room which also doubles as my office I can keep an eye on accuracy. Staff know that if they don't write, I don't pay. A simple system I know, but there are only 6 of us and it enables me to log other things like holidays or sick days in the same place which makes it simple to use when I do wages

We have a signing in/out sheet near the entrance door.

But we only have 10 staff, and all on regular hours/days anyway so don't really need to fill in weekly timsheets as such. I always note sickness/extra cover/staff meetings etc in my diary and usually just double check hours against this each month.

Hi

our administrator generates the wages which she sends to payroll (an outside company) and she seems to be forever chase up and checking everyones hours..

which made me think that maybe we should change the way it's done :o always enjoy ruffling a few feathers...

trying to cut down on paperwork, time issues for administrator and hopefully get the staff to more responsible for themselves..

i should say i inhertited this system from previous senior and she is still employed two days a week.

I have a spread sheet with everyone's core hours filled in - then I just make any adjustments(the sheet does the maths) before sending over to our owner.

I try and add any adjustments as they happen and it only take a few mins. Works for us, but each setting is different, and what works for us isn't necessary good for another.

Mind you- it makes me a tad cross if I've 'got ahead' of myself and someones off during the last week!!! :oxD:(

we had staff time sheets and it was no pay if they were not in.. we did not have an hours issue as they were paid a set time for each shift.. only if they were constantly late was this changed ..

but I did change to using a register page like for the children where I recorded time in time out each day as we were already doing and a copy of that was sent to the treasurer each week.. or each month depending on how they wanted it.. again they were only paid for the set hours per shift..

extras were noted and if money at end of year we were paid them in August.. if no money we did not! We were all well aware of this and it did help stop the resentment of working hours and not being paid..and with no prospect of being paid for the time.

all staff have set hours and days they work, if they need time off they swap days with another member of staff or its marked as TIL which is monitored by the deputy/supervsior. Any sick is noted on my outlook calendar (very lucky as the staff are rarely sick). We also keep a daily staff register, with the childrens registers and they are marked in at register time along with the children.

The supervisor then lets me know if i have dock any wages.... it works for us :)

We use a similar system to you. If you dont write in your hours...you dont get paid. Likewise if you write in something you didnt work then it is deducted from next weeks...this sometimes happens if there is a late shift booked on a Friday (after pay inpur cuto off) and then it is cancelled by the parents so they dont end up working it.

Re clocking in machines....be very wary! I used to work in a factory (as a teenager many decades ago)....clocking in machines are easier to fiddle than a signature on a piece of paper. It used to be routine for some of the lazier members on the production line to get others to clock in for them (so they werent deducted money for being late) likewise sometimes not even turning up at all!