Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Story Time Sacks Inspriation Needed!

hello all, this is my first post and im very glad to have found this fantastic forum...

I need help with some inspriation for story sacks. I am trying to extend our story time ....I have introduced a song sack so that children can pick a prop out of a bag and we sing a song that relates to the prop....this works really well with our group...some have challenging behaviour and some have little or no english.

Im thinking a story sack would be lovely but

I have no idea which story to start with

or how to use this in a session

i am hoping that some training will become available locally but untill then I would like to do something about it now!!!

so if you have any advice on where to start it would be very greatfully recieved.

I am also hoping to introduce some puppets...we have a persona doll and the children respond well to that......

thanks in advance

x

Edited by twinthinguk

We started with a simple but easy one - The Hungry Caterpillar

In the sack we have...

The story

A few books about mini beasts

A large butterfly/leaf and caterpillar - it is the hungry caterpillar one - these were cut from a large piece of material that had the hungry caterpillar on

A hungry caterpillar board game - sparkle box

Flash cards - pairing game

And laminated props for the children at re-tell it themselves

Possibilities are endless though but probs easier if you start with a firm favourite

I start with a 'rhyme sack' especially at the beginning of the year with non english speakers. They then go in the book corner for the children to access-lots of previous threads on story sacks so do a search of the forum

Hi

I would say go with a book that has repetative language all the way through, that way the children will get used to the common words/phrases used and join in this is good for EAL children. Maybe a book like brown bear brown bear what do you see? or polar bear polar bear what do you hear.

The words are the same all the way through apart from the animal changes. If it was polar bear polar bear what do you hear you could just have a laminated card with an ear on it and all the animal teddies or figures in a bag. The children will use the pictures to help make the animal noices. If you have any recordable devices you could record the children making the animal noices and and play them back next time the story is read.

Hope this helps

Stacey

One of our favourite resources is a story sack with a random selection of props in. The adult starts the story with 'once upon a time' and pulls an item out of the bag and the children then help develop their own story by selecting things from the bag. This is an inexpensive way of providing story making experience. We put in very open ended props like a key, a feather, a christmas tree bauble plus a few animals and small world figures. I have to say that not all staff are comfortable with using it as I think they all get used to the format of written books which makes me pop 'story bag' into the plans quite often, as how can children become accomplished storytellers if grownups can't do it (does that make me a cruel boss?)

I started with Jaspers bean stalk...in my story sack I have simple plastic gardening tools, a small kitten like Jasper, lots of seed packets, I hand drew some of the items from the story like the snail, watering can and the beanstalk, laminated them and then punched holes in them so the children can thread laces through them.....I then enhanced this sack with the book a seed in need and some insects.

Why dont you ask the children which story they would like ? If they have no language you could put pictures of the books on sheets and get them to point at the ones they like, thumbs up thumbs down that sort of thing?

We started using story sacks that we borrowed from our Area Senco. They had a range which we accessed and now make our own. Maybe you could speak to them?

thanks all for your input....we have borrowed a few from our local toy libary but they have usually had bits missing! doh! so I will make a few up of my own....I like the random objects idea too! I am going to pick a book today and then trawl through our rescources to find props to support a story as well as finding things like keys and feathers and ....well.....the possibilities are huge!

:)

once again thanks and this is with out a doubt a flippin fantastic forum! :)

One of our favourite resources is a story sack with a random selection of props in. The adult starts the story with 'once upon a time' and pulls an item out of the bag and the children then help develop their own story by selecting things from the bag. This is an inexpensive way of providing story making experience. We put in very open ended props like a key, a feather, a christmas tree bauble plus a few animals and small world figures. I have to say that not all staff are comfortable with using it as I think they all get used to the format of written books which makes me pop 'story bag' into the plans quite often, as how can children become accomplished storytellers if grownups can't do it (does that make me a cruel boss?)

no that makes you someone who loves storytelling and want children and staff to be motivated and think outside the box - Katrice Horsley inspired ??? x

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)