Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Doctors/hospital Role Play Area

Our children are showing a huge interest in doctors and hospitals this last few days. Would like to follow this interest next week and create a role play area, either a doctors surgery or a hospital. We have a few plastic toys from doctors sets and bandages and will borrow some outfits. What else can we use that will have a purpose and is not going to cost a fortune? Would love some ideas please. :o

apart from an adult to bandage up..

we had floor mats and bedding sheets and pillows so they could make it into a bed... dolls/ teddies to use as patients

know anyone in St John Ambulance or have a local group.. we used to have them visit with their ambulance / car and they used to come in for a chat, children brought in teddies and dolls to bandage with them..

And a little waiting room with books and magazines. Might be worth a quick visit to Dr surgery who probably has some old leaflets lying around and a few spare specimen pots and syringes (minus the needles of course). Have fun xx

I've recently watched a video of this sort of role-play for a course I'm doing. It was nursery aged children so maybe a bit old, but I have some two year olds interested in numbers and 'writing'. Really interesting thing was specimen bottles for writing on. Could do a receptionists (ICT), Microscope/magnifying glasses? Tablet and medicine bottles for writing number on - how many tablets does the Doctor say (?)? Too dangerous?! Big tweezers for handling dressings - finger control.

Enjoy,

Honey

Twinkl have some good stuff that you can download too - my doctor's surgery has a patient detail and prescription book. I put bottles in for the medicine rather than boxes for tablets - as children tend to have experience of liquid medicine and I didn't want to encourage them to play with tablets. We also used an exercise book to make an appointment book. Oh yes and I bought some large white shirts for doctors jackets - way cheaper than buying the proper dressing up clothes, and the pound store was selling doctor's sets for £1 too :)

Not to rain on your parade but just be aware that doctors and nurses role play has to be very carefully monitored as it can raise safeguarding issues!

We have had a couple of incidents and both times in this role play area we make sure there is an adult with them observing it at all times now to ensure there are no unhealthy investigations in the surgery!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)