Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stereotyping A Early Years Practitioner?

I went to zumba tonight in a santa suit with tinsel hairband and LED lights around my waist and neck and someone I didn't know came up to me and looked askance and said 'you must work with young children'. Is it that obvious to other people? and should I be offended cos of being sterotyped? haha

Brilliant and with some truth to it! I've noticed on courses for people in EY, they tend to wear dangly earrings or, for some reason, scarves with maybe a brooch. I hope that person goes home and reflects on their mundane, drab existence and decides to wear tinsel and lights :o

dont worry be happy - we are all a little touched ! i spent the last day of preschool dressed in green tights legging and a fairy dress which was my daughters when she was 5 - i have only been in this job at this setting 4 weeks as Supervisor - the pearnts loved it as much as the kids - guess they realised it was by having fun that kids learn and are happy

I have found in the past that childcare practitioners do have a "thing" for dressing up - we love it and so do the children!

So it is with a heavy heart that I have to report that the chain I work for has banned staff dressing up for anything

So sad and despite numerous arguments and discussions the "powers that be" won't budge, I know I am going to feel so jealous when I see practitioners dressed up in Nursery World

:o

I have found in the past that childcare practitioners do have a "thing" for dressing up - we love it and so do the children!

So it is with a heavy heart that I have to report that the chain I work for has banned staff dressing up for anything

So sad and despite numerous arguments and discussions the "powers that be" won't budge, I know I am going to feel so jealous when I see practitioners dressed up in Nursery World

xD

oh janny that really is appalling , the powers that be are depriving staff and children from having fun , children lead by example , think the powers that be need a lesson in fun !was is their reasoning or feeble excuse for banning it ?? :o

The reasoning behind it is the need to look professional at all times; parents need to know who the staff are, what if we have visitors or potential customers (the argument that we would say "we dont always dress like this but we are celebrating children in need/red nose day/world book day etc etc " didn't wash I'm afraid!! Nor the argument that current parents don't like the ban either!!

Needless to say that the "powers that be" don't have any childcare experience I'm afraid :o

OMG I can't believe that they could be so narrow minded. I do show rounds quite often in a variety of 'unprofessional' outfits and have never had a potential parent do anything other than laugh when I have explained the reason why I am wearing christmas tree decorations/a spotty tutu and wellies/elf ears and a dogs tail/superman outfit complete with pants over the top to name but a few. Being professional isn't about what you are wearing its about what you are. I feel really sorry for you janny1960

Thank you everyone for your show of support; however, despite our own protests it's all falling on deaf ears!!

If it does change however, you will hear us all shouting with joy!!!!!

I'll let you know if it does........but please do not hold your breath!!! x