Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Roll On Christmas!

Devondaisy

Well, it's that time of year again!! Toilets decided to back up and overflow today, just after a child with the latest s & d bug had been in!!! Lovely!

Christmas celebration tomorrow ... we have a new 'Mrs Christmas' this year (committee member responsible for all things Christmas.) She has taken it upon herself to appoint a new Father Christmas - perhaps no-one mentioned that we have had the same FC for 100 years!! Anyway, old FC is now rather grumpy at being usurped, and new FC, who rather bizarley (sp) happens to be the father of our Atheist child and who, even more bizarley, happened to have a santa suit in his loft, is now getting cold feet!! On top of that, I haven't seen any presents to fill Santa's sack - hopefully someone has bought them...!??? xD

Fingers crossed it all works out tomorrow. At least we have 18 bottles of wine ready to mull (that was the bit I was responsible for!!) so hopefully none of the parents will notice any hiccups anyway!! :o

Good luck Devondaisy, enjoy the wine if nothing else goes right! Poor former FC, I do think that is one job you have to be very diplomatic about if you are going to have a change, they covet that role so much.

Sadly we are in a Salvation Army hall, so no, absolutely no alcohol allowed on the premises!

Oh my lovely I feel your pain! I hate it when you get one staff/committee member who bulldozes through everything :o Perhaps the atheist parent is also a little ignorant of the fact that FC is actually a Saint and therefore related to religion.

I'm having an awful time too (though thankfully not involving blocked toilets!) The Head of the school seems hell-bent on blaming me for anything and everything and I feel so low I could literally just leave but I know I'd need a reference from her!

It seems every good thing is tempered by a bad one. For example today we had a fairly positive meeting about how we were going to address the issues she has raised then she tore into me for not having programmes for our little production today. I know it's only a little thing but I was really upset. She's taking admin time off me and has told me I have to pass things on to our administrator to do then moaned that I hadn't done this!! I came back to make and copy a programme which meant I ended up not having the Christmas dinner at school which I'd paid for. Partly lack of time and partly being too upset and fed up to go back to school.

On the plus side the children did us proud and remembered their little lines and did everything they were 'meant' to. Thankfully as to be honest I think I would have bawled in front of all the parents otherwise!!

Sorry for the thread hijack there - needed to get that out xD

If all else fails, you could ring some bells, drawing children's attention to the sound coming from outside, then wonder who on earth could have left a sack full of presents outside pre-school. That's what we did last year when we couldn't find a replacement for FC, who was poorly. Inside the sack was an envelope addressed to the children, filled with glitter, and wondering who the letter could be from, opened it to display a huge image of FC on the back - had the children hook, line and sinker!

It worked so well, we're doing it again this year.

Hope you're pressies turn up!

The same every year, a festival that is meant to be happy and peaceful, whether you're a Christian or not, is hijacked by the gringe. Nothing you can do except smile and take the opportunity to over indulge in your favourite vice. :o

If all else fails, you could ring some bells, drawing children's attention to the sound coming from outside, then wonder who on earth could have left a sack full of presents outside pre-school. That's what we did last year when we couldn't find a replacement for FC, who was poorly. Inside the sack was an envelope addressed to the children, filled with glitter, and wondering who the letter could be from, opened it to display a huge image of FC on the back - had the children hook, line and sinker!

It worked so well, we're doing it again this year.

Hope you're pressies turn up!

Now this is why this site is so great!!!

I really like this idea - but we had a Father Christmas already set up.... parents watched Nativity play today then we had a raffle in the hall and then back to pre-school classroom for FC....

Well that was the plan anyway!!!! :( :( :o:( :wacko:

What actually happened was.... parents watched Nativity play then we had a raffle in the hall and then back to pre-school 45 minutes before FC due.... so we humoured children and played games until 11 o'clock all the parents came in, settled in, we sang a few songs waited for FC.... and waited..... and waited..... then he arrived..... but no costume!!!

So we used your idea after all - and the children loved it!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!! saved the day!!!!!!

Parents not so amused xD

Our Father Christmas came today. He was new to us so we werent sure what to expect but he was fab. He was old and had a real white beard. He looked great until he stood still too long to wave hello and his trousers fell down. The whole room went quiet while we wondered, well I wondered, if he was going to make a joke, but he hadnt noticed. It was only when the playleader motioned to him that he realsied and went bright red, which helped with the rosy red cheeks bit. The vicar was standing next to me and she nearly fell apart giggling.

The children didnt notice though so all is well :oxD

Now this is why this site is so great!!!

I really like this idea - but we had a Father Christmas already set up.... parents watched Nativity play today then we had a raffle in the hall and then back to pre-school classroom for FC....

Well that was the plan anyway!!!! :(:(:o:( :wacko:

What actually happened was.... parents watched Nativity play then we had a raffle in the hall and then back to pre-school 45 minutes before FC due.... so we humoured children and played games until 11 o'clock all the parents came in, settled in, we sang a few songs waited for FC.... and waited..... and waited..... then he arrived..... but no costume!!!

So we used your idea after all - and the children loved it!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!! saved the day!!!!!!

Parents not so amused xD

And I bet you made a great impression with them for being so super cool and organized in a crisis!

Glad to have helped! At least this way, you don't get the littlies upset at the strange bearded person coming into their setting, or in Rea's case one who drops his trousers! xD

Our Father Christmas came today. He was new to us so we werent sure what to expect but he was fab. He was old and had a real white beard. He looked great until he stood still too long to wave hello and his trousers fell down. The whole room went quiet while we wondered, well I wondered, if he was going to make a joke, but he hadnt noticed. It was only when the playleader motioned to him that he realsied and went bright red, which helped with the rosy red cheeks bit. The vicar was standing next to me and she nearly fell apart giggling.

The children didnt notice though so all is well :oxD

Classic Rea - you couldn't make this stuff up! Sounds like something out of 'Vicar of Dibley'!

Yes!!!!! It's all over for another year!!

The children sang beautifully, the parents drank copious amounts of mulled wine (as did some of the staff!) Father Christmas arrived with the presents, which were fabulous! No children cried. It was great!!

Glad it all went so well Devondaisy! Think I might suggest mulled wine next year - might help me as narrator for the nativity.

Just our party tomorrow, which I'm looked forward to, having completed the Nativity last Friday which seemed to have the wow factor judging by the parents' comments.

Oh my lovely I feel your pain! I hate it when you get one staff/committee member who bulldozes through everything :o Perhaps the atheist parent is also a little ignorant of the fact that FC is actually a Saint and therefore related to religion.

I'm having an awful time too (though thankfully not involving blocked toilets!) The Head of the school seems hell-bent on blaming me for anything and everything and I feel so low I could literally just leave but I know I'd need a reference from her!

It seems every good thing is tempered by a bad one. For example today we had a fairly positive meeting about how we were going to address the issues she has raised then she tore into me for not having programmes for our little production today. I know it's only a little thing but I was really upset. She's taking admin time off me and has told me I have to pass things on to our administrator to do then moaned that I hadn't done this!! I came back to make and copy a programme which meant I ended up not having the Christmas dinner at school which I'd paid for. Partly lack of time and partly being too upset and fed up to go back to school.

On the plus side the children did us proud and remembered their little lines and did everything they were 'meant' to. Thankfully as to be honest I think I would have bawled in front of all the parents otherwise!!

Sorry for the thread hijack there - needed to get that out xD

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time Hello Kitty - hope it made you feel a little better offloading on here, it's a one stop shop for all our highs and lows, and bits inbetween. Does the Head how low she is making you feel?

Well done with the performance. I hope the New Year will bring more joy for you!

Edited by Deb