Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Do We Do?

I was just wondering if anyone else in a private setting will be affected by the one school intake?

We have a baby room and the babies move into the older room (2-4)yrs when they are two....as there is only one intake into schools the children who would of gone to school in the Jan/April are now having to wait until Sept! Now the problem is there will be no spaces for the babies when they move into the bigger room between Jan-Sept....what do we do? :o

Assuming this is for their Reception year, in authorities where there is one school intake the children who turn 5 within that school year all start in September, which next year will be Sept 2012, so children who might have gone in January or after Easter under a 3 term intake, will also go in the September of 2012. It would be very unusual for them to have to wait until the following September, as they would then miss out their Reception Year and go straight to Y1

Oh yes i know but the problem is because they are staying with us for longer it means there are no spaces for the babies to automatically move down into the bigger room when they are two as the older children are only leaving us in Sept! Which means we would go over our ratio....but we cant tell the parents of the babies that they have to leave?? does that make sense? x

Im a little confused too, usually the one entry point into school means that children leave you earlier rather than stay with you longer.

Can you give us an actual example using a date of birth of a child who is now staying with you longer than previously. Then I can get my head around it maybe.

we always found the one entry to school meant less children staying longer, as they all started the September after their fourth birthday, so any due to start in the Jan would start the September before ... always caused us the issue of less children , although we always had the one year entry so never knew any different.

Sorry guys...its difficult to put it into words......

Basically our babies move into a different room as they reach a certain age 2 yrs...and replace the children that have gone to school! This year because of the one intake we have 6 babies moving down between Jan and april but no children leaving until September (previously would of gone in Jan or April) so where do these babies go as we will go over ratio in the older room?

We are a 30 place nursery with only two rooms so this is problem for us!

Bubbles do you mean because no children will now leave your setting in April as in previous years your two year olds are now unable to move up into the older age group room as there will be no spaces.

So in theory you are then unable to take more babies etc.?

We are finding that due to the compulsory one intake now in our area, we have no openings to take children other than September, as in the past we could possibly offer throughout the year.

So basically unless a child leaves, moves away you are left with a huge amount of children leaving and more dauntingly a huge amount of new starters in the September too.

Apologies if i have mistook your query. :o

Bubbles do you mean because no children will now leave your setting in April as in previous years your two year olds are now unable to move up into the older age group room as there will be no spaces.

So in theory you are then unable to take more babies etc.?

We are finding that due to the compulsory one intake now in our area, we have no openings to take children other than September, as in the past we could possibly offer throughout the year.

So basically unless a child leaves, moves away you are left with a huge amount of children leaving and more dauntingly a huge amount of new starters in the September too.

Apologies if i have mistook your query. :o

Yes Bridger youve hit the nail on the head (although we only have a baby room and our older room which takes 2-4yr olds) so for the next year we have babies that are due to move into the older room but no space for them until Sept! So i'm stuck with what to do with them? and also this is going to be a problem because the babies birthdays are throughout the year so what will happen if they turn 2 in the april and are due to move in the older room but there is no space until Sept?

Edited by Guest

As i know Bubbles set up i can picture what she is trying to say.

I presume you are still using the larger room for your older children and the baby room is the room up the ramp with the bedroom.

So if you are can you not divide your larger room into under threes and over threes. :o

As i know Bubbles set up i can picture what she is trying to say.

I presume you are still using the larger room for your older children and the baby room is the room up the ramp with the bedroom.

So if you are can you not divide your larger room into under threes and over threes. :o

Yes thats basically it bridger...the larger room wouldnt really worked split up as there is not enough room to be able to offer two water trays/sand trays/homecorners etc on either side! We really dont have the room and this has never happened before.... xD

Not really sure how to advise on this one. Do you have sand and water available each day?. Are they able to be be taken outside within a covered area to give you more space.

Yes sand and water each day...one in the morning then one in the evening! But no covered area outside yet...although we are looking into this with our local authourity! So difficult isnt it...i think my next plan of action is to get the head of early years in for a meeting! :o

The problem is that parents don't all have babies over the summer and want to start them at a Day Nursery in September. Annoyingly people tend to have babies throughout the year. :o

I can see the issue here. Either the nursery operates under capacity for a large part of the year, or the places are all filled up at the start of the school year but then they have to turn folk away for the rest of the year.

I'm afraid I have no answers to your problem though. xD

what does your registration document say ? Ours states no more than 52 children of which up 12 can be between 0-2 . We had a similar problem to yours with two rooms and babies due to move up and we get round it by moving the rising twos out with a keyworker ( or two depending on amounts of children ) making the baby area smaller for this time physically ( thank goodness for Community Playthings !) and numerically, and accommodating the rest in the other rooms . The EYFS states that 18 months + can spend time with the older children as long as staff ratios are upheld - and as long as you don't go over total numbers for the registration it works.

Ours says no more than 30 children and only 7 can be under 2! This means we have 7 babies and 23 2-4yrs.........

This is the problem when the babies move down we will be 7 over ratio when it gets to April in the bigger room :o This is why i'm stressing out a little bit!!

Ours says no more than 30 children and only 7 can be under 2! This means we have 7 babies and 23 2-4yrs.........

This is the problem when the babies move down we will be 7 over ratio when it gets to April in the bigger room :o This is why i'm stressing out a little bit!!

My thoughts on this are

Registration is for 30 children.... providing you only have 30 that should be ok..

the ages are only important when it comes to a maximum of 7 under 2... when they go over 2 you will still have correct numbers in the setting as you do not go over 30 children.

I thought it was a maximum in the setting and that they set within that a maximum for some age ranges, I know of some settings of 24 who can have only 4 - 2 yr olds... but in reality usually have 24 - 3 yr olds and no 2yr olds which is the same sort of thing.

Yeh we are full at the moment and will be until next September....when they move down we will have 30 in the 2-4yr old room which is our capacity in total. This would then mean we wouldnt be able to fill the 7 baby spaces...which means an empty baby room which obviously cannot happen!! :o

Yeh we are full at the moment and will be until next September....when they move down we will have 30 in the 2-4yr old room which is our capacity in total. This would then mean we wouldnt be able to fill the 7 baby spaces...which means an empty baby room which obviously cannot happen!! :o

But unless you say to some they cannot come once they turn 2 it will be what is happening, cannot see how you can avoid it - only way would be change to registration... which is probably not a viable option.. probably time to reflect on the setting and see if there are any ways you caould prevent the same next year, or just accept it will be the same each year and adapt accordingly.

it could be worse you could have ended up with all the children leaving earlier as we did and have lots of spaces you are unable to fill..

Surely you're still getting the fees in for those children though so you aren't losing on revenue and baby room staff can move downstairs to boost ratios down there. Or maybe if you feel you have children that aren't ready to move just because they turned 2 they could stay in the baby room to benefit from a smaller group up there?

Obviously I don't fully know your set up and how it works but at least you are still at capacity and thus not losing out on vital fees.

I agree with Karina - this is what we do in our setting - baby area shrinks for a term or two , and staff get redeployed but in July ( we are 51 week opening) we lose lots of 'schoolage' children, so we fill the babies up again and away we go. Revenue on the older children is the same as babies for us as we charge a flat rate for all, might be more of an issue if you charge more for babies I suppose. :o