Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fake Snow

We have used it very successfully, usually in tuff spots (builders trays). The children love the feel of it as it gets really cold as the chemical reaction takes place. I usually buy it from TTS but it is quite expensive although a little can go a long way. In past years we have also used crushed ice, shaving foam, mashed potato, water retaining flower beads and gellibaff to represent snow.

Hi I do it every year and have it in my tuff spot and love it as do the children (reception class) . It usually lasts us about 2 weeks as it can be rejuvinated with water when it dries out. It is the same chemical which is found in disposable nappies apparently and is non toxic. It's ability to expand to 100X is size would concern me with very yound children in case they put it in their mouth as imagine the same thing would happen inside them! I introduce it as a class with each child having a small amount and experiencing what happens when water is added and then I leave it out for CI with a range of polar animals etc I usually put white glitter in there too but then I put glitter in most things!

Deb

I used it a couple of years ago , was fine, bit slippery on the floor so had to be careful of that.. dont know where to buy it though as we got ours using the Tesco 'computers for schools' vouchers..

I have seen it in our local garden centre -

I bought some in the pound shop at the weekend - not tried it yet though. Also managed to buy a roll of christmas felt with glitter in it that makes a fantastic snowy base for your tuff spots - from the 99p store. Liked it so much I'm going back to buy more tomorrow!

TTS had a special offer on recently...we use masses of it (i never follow the instructions...you can add loads more water than it tells you to)

one of my favourites is ice island....builders tray...cubes of ice....fake snow and cornflour around the base...as the ice mealts you get the added bonus of ublick on the bottom :o

I love it! Expensive but worth it. Last year I was just making it up when OFSTED knocked on the door. I was in such a dither I used hot water instead of cold - that was a good talking point with the children! Also I'd lost the instructions so just added water until it looked snowy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)