Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Need Advice Re Childs Behaviour /habit

not sure how to handle this one.....

we have a little boy at my setting -just turned 4. over the past few weeks he has been putting his hands down his pants, started off with just the front, now its the back too.

it was initially only every now and again. it has become more frequent -as soon as you remind him to remove his hand, it goes back again !

now he has also started to expose himself -i think it pops out as he removes his had iyswim ?

we have gently asked him to remove his hand, we have had a chat about bodies and how some things are private.

im worried that the other children will notice and either make a big deal out of it (we are trying to be low key) or go home and tell parents that they keep seeing it !!!

there is no part of the session where he is more likely to do it -he even does it at the snack table.

we have spoken to mum and he does it at home also -she also asks him to remove his hand.

how do i manage this ?

I had a little boy who did this.

His mother and I worked together to remind him that it was better to keep it private in his bedroom.

I also used to ask him (very nicely and calmly) to wash his hands every time he did it. He stopped soon afterwards which may be because he got tired of washing his hands every two minutes but perhaps he would have stopped anyway.

have you checked he hasn't got worms first?if that is not the problem then i agree with upsy daisy...i have had several children do this over the years (a set of twins who were VERY fond of carpet time!)just gently remind to wash hands and that we all have bottoms but we dont need to see them!seems to work for us. He is probably very happy to be with you...relaxes and this is instead of thumb sucking :o

Edited by finleysmaid

we did the wash hands thing too, and it did eventually stop, (he said it felt good!) but took a while .. we tended to have one every couple of years.. at some points like story time we introduced a fiddle toy to keep his hands occupied with something he wanted to play with..usually a small object which twisted and turned as he moved it.. I had a small supply of items just for this.. none of the other children seemed to worry he had something and they didn't.. they were always very understanding .

we had more issues stopping the girls... rocking on the edge of a chair to stimulate themselves... I had one who did it every time she sat on a chair... that we never did stop although managed to reduce with distraction if we could, but she managed the rocking and other activity.. mum said she did not do it at home, but we thought she was too embarrassed to admit that it happened there as well.. it was so frequently.. that was something we saw often too, just not all recognised the behaviour for what it was...

my second son used to do this and we found out that he had a hernia, so well worth asking parents to check with their GP if anything is not wrong.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)