Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Ratios

Havent really used the site for help before but I hope someone can!

We have had a bit of a sudden shake up and now have a new manager and deputy both qualified level 3, one member of staff has just started working towards a level 3 and one unqualified - we are registered for 24 children at any one time and always have four staff on site so we are OK on the adult/child ratio but I dont think we have enough qualified people on site.

Help please.

Does the memeber of staff working toards level 3 have a level 2? If so, all ok, otherwise I would say not, unless you are only working with over 3 (1;8) AND could claim that the final unqualified is in essence supernumary and just an additional pair iof hands.

My view with the 50% rule is it should cover minimum staffing ratios, surely any extra help is a good thing.

Just my view tho. I am sure plenty of others will be along soon to advise.

As I understand it, your level 2 is an adult in ratio just like everyone else. I think the level 3 minimum applies only to people in charge.

Your 2 is a 2 till she completes her 3 officially

Hi i think it states that the Manager must be at least a level three as a minimum, with 50% having to be level 3 too.

It also depends whether the manager is included within the ratios and not supernumary.

As for your level 2 person in training as a level 3, they would be classed as a 2 until completion of their training.

Have you looked at the statutory standards to check, sorry but i don't have a hard copy here to look for you. :o

As long as you only have three year olds on a 1:8 ration you are fine by the skin of your teeth. The leader is level 3 and 50% is at least level 2.

so with 24 children you only need 3 staff with your fourth being spare.

The statutory Guidance states

In registered settings other than childminding settings, all supervisors and managers must hold a

full and relevant level 3 qualification (as defined by the Children’s Workforce Development Council

(CWDC)) and half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 qualification (as defined by

CWDC).