Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

That Time Of Year Again!

We have 2 members of staff that complain about the cold at the slightest drop of temperature. We have free flow all the through the session and when it is theri turn to be outside they moan constantly. One even moans about the indoor temperature, we have the thermostat set at 17 so it dosen't get that cold.

Please tell me I am not the only one that has staff like this. How do you deal with it?

TIA

I thought the correct indoor temp was 18 C - but that aside..

we supplied some layers of clothing which all were able to put on when outside, so first complaint of cold I handed them a fleece , hat scarf gloves, waterproof jacket... had a range of items just 2 of each as that was usually max of staff needed outside.. and once they got the gist they supplied better outdoor clothing for themselves so they were not often used..

I also had a range of busy active game cards which when they said its cold I would give them to play with the children so they were active.. called it outside activity or planning, but they were expected to do the one they were given and adapt it with the children..

and I know others on here have butchers curtains across the door to help prevent heat loss.. someone will come and point out where from I am sure...

Edited by Inge

My butchers curtains came from TTS and they are brilliant for keeping the heat in and the rain out. I too supply my staff with suitable clothing so there is no excuse not to go outside, my girls worked out a vitual timetable (i.e. nothing in writing) for themselves so that they were not outside for the whole session and this has given them the means to self manage this area.

I would definitely try to preempt it by putting out a memo to staff about the need for appropriate clothing when the weather is cold. Some people still don't realise that lots of thin layers are better than a big thick jumper or coat. Perhaps suggest that those who feel the cold might want to invest in some good quality base layers as an effective way of keeping warm whilst outside in the winter? :o

http://www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Produ...05-ecdd9b3f5e86

Here's the link to the freeflow curtains mentioned. I have been considering these but wondered whether they would in any way obstruct the fire door but this picture shows them being used on a fire door. Think this could help keep the children inside warm too.

Also on the subject of the staff feeling the cold, I suggest using layers, there are many good long sleeved techno layers on the market these days.

Hi

Free flow curtains are brilliant. We have the door open everyday of the year. They really do keep the heat inside. You can just remove them in the summer. I don't think they will be a problem with it being a fire door.

As for staff, I would just make sure there is a rota and send them out. Playing with the children will keep their minds of the cold and if its warm inside for when they come in, great.

We have 2 members of staff that complain about the cold at the slightest drop of temperature. We have free flow all the through the session and when it is theri turn to be outside they moan constantly. One even moans about the indoor temperature, we have the thermostat set at 17 so it dosen't get that cold.

Please tell me I am not the only one that has staff like this. How do you deal with it?

TIA

I think this is a standard problem and ironically they are also often the first ones to wilt in the heat...however as I explained to a student on placement this week...It is not OK to limit children's play because the adults are not wearing appropriate clothing. The nursery i work for provides not only tshirts but also seat tops, zip up arctic fleeces and all weather anoracks & wet wear trousers which slip over your indoor pair and staff bring in bright coloured wellies and bring a wide assortment of hats & gloves & scarves. This also encourages children to put their warm clothes on too.. Although there is a uniform it is acceptable when doors are open for freeflow for the staff to top up their indoor clothing with similar coloured vests/tshirts/poloneck tops/cardigans etc to to add extr layers. The staff all know they can be outside in any weather and that the doors will be open so dress accordingly it is only when people think that this will happen regardless of whether they moan about it that attitudes change. It isnt acceptable however for managers to think that those (like me who have a low temperature at all times) can work without having extra layers on. I also frequently mention to staff that the reason they feel the cold is because they are standing still if they moved around a bit more then they like the children would generate warmth but as I am a cold bunny all year round (my cardi doesnt come off until the therm hits 70) then I accept that others too maybe cold but I generally find if Im wrapped up and moving them Im not too cold but the other thing we do is make sure that we change around frequently so when it is chilly no one is stuck outside for hours while others are in the warm...everyone MUST take their turn!.

re the freeflow curtains, do they HAVE to be fixed to a door? and are they permanently there?

We run from a village hall and after years of campainging have been told they we can get freeflow curtains BUT we aren't allowed to fix them to the door, they either have to be halfway up the hallway or on the edge of the wall just before you go down the hallway. Also we aren't allowed to leave them up so will need to take them down everyday!