Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Colour Theme

Hi, we are doing a theme on colour next term in foundation and would really appreciate some ideas and inspiration. Any help would be great. Thanks.

I think the problem with 'colour' as a topic is that by the time children reach school don't they already know most colours?

I would be inclined to think about what their current interests are and run with that as a topic, incorporating colour within it. Either that or use an artist (such as Matisse) or book (such as Elmer) as a starting point. :o

Thanks for the ideas. We will definately be doing Elmer and that then links in nicely with pattern, shape and lots of PSED. Maybe colour isn't very inspiring. Will think again.

We use a salad spinner and primary coloured paints to encourage the children to think about colour mixing and also incorporated colour into a weather based activity using coffee filters and food colouring to make rainbows

I did Elmer to begin with at the start of this year. The book people did a good deal on 10 elmer stories for £10 and I used several of the stories as a starting point for PSED activities. Did lots of pattern things and also colour mixing.

Deb

How about making the 'theme' something like 'The Rainbow Machine?.

That could lead you to investigate how to make a rainbow, mixing paints together, adding colours, stained glass windows, shining light through a prism.

I think there is even an Oxford Reading Tree Story with this title. You could put different coloured cellophane over torches, look at shadows, light and dark and making colours of paint lighter and darker.

You could make a great 'experimenting' machine where they could put in spoonfuls of powder paint in different combinations and see what comes out.

I agree with an earlier post that if they know all their colours your topic needs to be a vehicle for something else that you want them to investigate/learn.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)