Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

When To Start Doing Profiles

hali

Thanks ever so much for providing this Angela (and Steve) - the profiles are getting me down so much, & I'm really looking at ways to make it easier to do next year!

Dianne xxx

Ill second that -thanks Steve and Angelac! It looks very useful,especially since we are STILL waiting for the booklets here in Spain.Then again maybe it would be better if they dont arrive :D

Hi Angela and Steve

Thanks for the download

It'll come in very useful when I start teaching Reception next term.

Have a good weekend

Denise

• 1 month later...

first time at this!! i work in a preschool and would like some advuse on fsp. do i need to do this as well as the other assesment s that we do. i am doing them in my morning preschool 2.5 to 4.5 years. but am not sure how much to fill in as a lot of te children are capable of most of the goals and i provide evidence to prove this. i also work at a private nursery in the afternoon and all they do are tick list assesment some advice would be great! :o

Hi Sal and welcome to the site. Is it a requirement of your local authority that you do the profiles? Are they the ones they use in school or are they your own? In Stockport at the moment we are only required to keep our own assessments of the children. So we have observations of the children and the stepping stones which we highlight each term. We also make brief statements and these all go in their records of achievement whci we send home at the end of term and then the parents get to keep them when their child leaves.

Stockport are piloting a transition document at the momemnt which will flow from pre-schools and nurseries into reception-but that won't be compulsory for groups to use.

Hope this is helpful

Linda

Hi Sal, and welcome :)

I would say the same as Linda; does your EYDCP expect/encourage you to complete the profiles and then pass them onto your feeder schools? East Sussex, like Linda's part of the country, have their own Pre-school profile which settings can use, although it is not compulsory. Do you have any meetings with the reception teachers to see what records they would find most useful fro their feeder pre-schools?

• 1 month later...

Thanks. Thats saved me a lot of work. I was going to update our present recording system to link with the profile. I've still to work out exactly how we pass on the information to parents as their children leave us for school at the end of this term (all start in September after 4th birthday here in Bristol). Local schools are as yet not particularly interested in what we can tell them but in this format it's not too much information to sift through

Whitetree

Hi there Whitetree, welcome on board and thank you for makng your first post. :D:D

Like you, it is Birmingham policy for children to start school in the September following their 4th birthday. Its a shame that your local schools are not interested, I would love to get infromation from preschool settings that some of our chidlren have attended, but we very rarely receive anything. Sometimes the parents show us something from their previousl setting when we go on home visits, and that infromation is really helpful. have you got good contact with local schools so that you can ask them if they want to receive information from you.

Hi & welcome aboard.

i can't understand why the schools don't value your expertise and knowledge of the children more readily. I have difficulty getting usable information from our feeder nurseries and its such a shame we can't all ahre more successfully!

Susan

I have two children in my group who have been held back a year for SEN reasons. I have got to complete the FSP for them as they would normally be in their reception year now.

Carol

Guest valletta

hi,

we have been doing assessments and observations in our pre school these will be passed onto the reception school in Sept. These forms were given to us by the PLA advisor.

On having a Ofsted inspection last week we were told to disregard them .

who are we to beleive now?

what is the point in doing all this paperwork to find that alot of it is unnessary and useless once reached in the reception classes.

do the reception classes really value us - I know we are not university trained or have degrees... but we do a damn good job - especially with children coming into us without any social skills and totoally out of order now.

I cant speak for everyone Valetta, but I think most of the reception teachers here (in the froum I mean), do value what is done by preschols in whatever form they take.

I know that I can tell which have children have had some sort of preschool experience and which havent when the new children start in September-it does make a big difference espcecailly to their personal and social skills.

Did your oFSTED inspector give you a reason for diregarding the assessmenst you do- Im sure they were not speaking on behalf of your local primary? Could you get in touch with your local school, and ask them what infromation they would like to receive from you?

Guest valletta

hi

we are getting together with our local reception teacher and modifying the profiles and assessment sheets so that they are not so lengthy and intense.... that will make it easier all round I think and it will be adapted by the teacher with us in mind - that should be a better idea

Guest valletta

did not mean to offend susan -

but only relaying what the Ofsted inspector told us... I think she thinks there are several ' official ' bodies interferring with the workings of Ofsted maybe and that they should be the sole important body here - maybe wrong

Hi

As a reception class teacher to the new summer intake I was very grateful for the information I received about my new children. At my school we have a new parents evening when I chatted informally with parents. I did home visits and I was able to visit some of the children in their pre-school/nursery settings. One of the supervisors came to see me with general information about the children from her setting. The information I received from the pre-schools, in the form of the FSP, varied greatly. One file I received was five inches thick and I've had to go through it with a fine toothed comb to find information that would be of use to me! I do appreiciate that somebody had put in an awful lot of time and effort into it. One FSP came in completely filled for the whole year but there was no evidence to support their observations! (maybe they could see in to the future.) I was most impressed by the pre-school who had a few photos and pictures of obsevations and filled in FSP, not bad considering everything had been destroyed in a arson attack last year. I think the informal chats I had with the supervisors of the pre-schools were more valuble than the FSP to me. I have done basic informal assessments during the first two weeks of term some of the results has varied greatly from the FSP information from the nurseries, but most of them I agree with. I know just how much blood sweat and tears go into these profiles as I used to work in a pre-school until Christmas and had to fill out these wonderful (??) booklets.

For those who work in pre-school/nursery settings your hard work is valued and any information I get on children is a bonus and is a good starting point for me.

Thanks

mousebat

• 2 weeks later...

:o Hi I work as a reception teacher in Wales. I know we are always catching up with the rest of the country; I have heard about the foundation phase. But what are these profiles you are talking about?

liz

HI Lizh & welcome aboard.

You can find out more details from www.qca.org.uk

But basically it is the assessment/ attainment document for the end of the Foundation stage and is completed during the school year in which the child has his/ her 5th birthday. The statistics have to be reported to the Lea so that comparisons etc can be made.

it would be interesting to hear what you are doing in Wales, I only fairly recently realised that you were not included.

Thanks, Angela and Steve, for the download! It is presented in an easy format and that is necessary. I had downloaded a similar one, but I don't recall from where. In this other one the ELG are on the top and the spaces to write the names of the children in the left hand side. Again, thanks a million!

SmileyPR :)

Hi Liz,

I must have got my wires crossed somewhere....I thought Wales was way ahead of England in the Foundation Stage philosophy, and that the FS was going to be extended up to the end of year 2. Where did I get that from? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)